View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Hi; thanks for throwing me the morsel.

I had thought to reinstall the Online Armor as you've suggested, but I figured that it would just install a second full copy of the program on the hard drive like Java does. I'm guessing here - but isn't a software program akin to a kit? (all the pieces parts encased in a pkg) Is there a trick to getting the new install to put itself "over top of the current installation"??

In reference to the msconfig window, should I go back in there and manually put everything back to where it was and then start over again trying to stop and/or disable things from inside each individual program? (which I didn't know you could do)
P.S. Precisely where would I find that option?

New problem: WinPatrol pops up a window every time I open or close a tab in IE informing me that a new program (Google Toolbar Notifier) wants to join the start-up batch and is that okay? I click NO yet the window returns (no less than 25 times this evening) the next time I open or close a tab. Although I use the Google Toolbar, I set it long ago to not send usage statistics back to Google and haven't had it challenged before tonight. How shall I kill this guy off for good?

My hesitation about snuffing the life out of any of my media-esque type programs is that I've been warned before that sometimes a disabled or removed program will take with itself, on exit, a file that was shared with some other part of the whole, thus causing all kinds of mayhem. That is a scenario I should avoid - cause I'd cry Is that valid information?

Also, would you mind helping me understand the difference between a program that is dormant (easily started from the programs menu when needed) and one that is crippled? I've found that some processes or services that I switched to manual end up running anyway and programs that I thought I was setting to standby cannot function properly when I do try to start them from the menu - I get error messages that some thing critical to the performance of the software is "unavailable". e.g. I put a Chris Rock CD in my F drive with the intent of ripping it to my hard drive believing that it was audio tracks. It triggered Windows Media Center to open its program (it was a DVD) - it froze on the blue screen. The only way out was through Task Mgr. It showed Media Ctr as non-responsive, 59 processes running and ehshell.exe as using 178,680KB of whatever the Processes tabbed page reports on, (RAM, memory??). It took three tries to get Media Ctr to end task and when it did I got a couple of follow up error windows - one was logging a "Media Center Crash Report". I tried to screen capture the other ones but it didn't work.

Your help is a kindness you are bestowing on me and I want to respect forum protocol - only I have no idea what it is. So please don't hesitate to be direct with me if I'm over-stepping any boundaries. I'm really and frustrated and confused by this stuff.

Sara[/I][/I][/I]