View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Thanks enat66. It may be as I suspected, not a great idea. Here is what they say, quoted from the Netzero site, and my thoughts in response:

How does NetZero HiSpeed work?

Data Compression and Image Optimization - Before the text and graphics that make up Web pages get sent to you over your phone line, NetZero HiSpeed compresses them using a proprietary technology. Less data is sent so the download of pages and your surfing experience are that much faster!

(Sounds like this means the data you ultimately get is compromised: blurry pictures, lousy game play, etc. You get it faster because you literally get less. Compressed means edited, something is taken out, isn't that right?)

Memory Enhancement - In addition, NetZero HiSpeed also uses caching technology to stores elements of the Web sites you visit frequently so you do not have to re-download them every time you visit these sites. So in addition to an immediate boost, your surfing will get even faster as you continue to use NetZero HiSpeed.

(This sounds suspiciously like loading you up with cookies, something that is happening anyway, and not necessarily desirable. You are going to pay someone to help a site feed you a cookie?)

Continuous Optimization - NetZero HiSpeed continuously optimizes the communication between your system's modem and our network while you are online. That means that is always working to shorten the amount of time it takes to connect you to the sites you visit.

(Sounds like this just means it keeps switching you around to different access numbers. And if they are long distance, well, tough luck.)

(All of this is pure speculation on my part, and the speculatinon of a novice at that. On the other hand, I had Juno/Netzero briefly, as a regular isp connection, not a speed connection, and hated it.)