View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Chunks of Programs Have Disappeared

[FONSeveral programs are missing key data: parts of "pages", (eg. the Backup Guide in Sonic Digital Media Studio is only half there with the top half of some of the sentences missing), my Dell printer software is missing the right hand side of over half the pages, etc. This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I have no idea why or how.
The only trouble was with Power Options ( Hibernation would not disable even when unchecked and Power Schemes would not hold). I fixed those problems.

What could cause this? What should I do? Some of the programs were preinstalled from Dell and I have no cds. How can I tell if Windows XPSp2 is missing files and folders? A System Restore would not work...it said there were no changes to my computer, so it would not restore. Also, there have been many registry changes...what kind of changes are do they mean?
I have a Dell Dimension 1100, Celeron (R) 325, 256 ram, DSL at 384kbps. Could I have lost part of the bios? How could I check? Dell said to do a total reinstall. Is that the right thing to do?This is really freaking me out. I would appreciate any suggestions.T="Times New Roman"][/FONT]