View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:13 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
The Saga Continues, Unfortunately

Hi all,

I'm sad to say that purchasing a new NIC didn't work. I really thought that would solve the problem, but I installed it at about noon today, got it up and running fine, and then sure enough, shortly after 3:00 p.m. my internet went down again.

Only just now I have now uninstalled the drivers for the FIRST NIC (on the motherboard), rebooted, and I am now back on the internet again with that first card, just to say I've tried it. I was a little nervous to try that before when Smurphy suggested it, I confess, in case I would somehow make matters worse for myself, but had more courage to try that today since I now have two NICs. But I can't imagine now that will fix my problem, since the second NIC is having the same intermittent problem.

When my internet goes down and I've tried to go to a web page, I do get an option to run some kind of network diagnostics, which I tried to do, and it just told me that I have no Diagnostics Policy Service, and so it cannot complete the diagnostics. (Is that because it's searching the Internet for something, and I can't get to the Internet? Or is there an additional reason -- I'm not sure what the diagnostics is doing, so I'm not sure).

I have also contacted our cable service, and they have told me there is nothing they can do at their end, since the other computer we have attached to the internet does not go down, which does make sense to me. But is there any way a weak signal of some sort could make one of our computers go down every couple of hours though the other computer is up? Sounds almost silly asking that, but I'm just trying to be thorough with my thoughts.

Anything else I could try before buying a new computer? Or is that my only option, do you think?

*Sigh*

Mrs.Lufbra