View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi batleth96,

It's quite possible that the boot.ini file has two references to the same installation of WIN2K, but just to ensure that both instances of WIN2K are the same one, do the following:

At the boot menu, select one of the instances of WIN2K. When you're at the Desktop, go to Start>Run and key in cmd then click on OK or hit ENTER (this should open a DOS window). At the C: prompt in the DOS window, key in:
echo %windir%
<ENTER>
The above will display the current Windows folder that you're using (eg., C:\WINNT)
Now, restart, boot into the other instance of WIN2K, and perform the same command in the DOS window. If this also returns the same Windows folder, instead of a derivative of the folder (eg., C:\WINNT2), chances are that both instances of WIN2K are the same one.

I'm not in WIN2K at the moment, but I think the steps are similar (if not exactly the same) as they are in WINXP to edit the boot.ini file........right-click My Computer, select Properties then Advanced tab. In the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom, click on the Settings button. In the System Startup section, click on the Edit button beside "To edit the startup options file manually...." This will open the boot.ini file in Notepad. It probably looks something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT = "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT = "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"

If both of the lines under [operating systems] are exactly alike (as the ones I have above), delete one of the lines. After deleting the one line, go to File>Save and then File>Exit. Click on OK then OK again. Restart your computer.