View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2017, 03:53 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Intermittent Internet

Hi all, long time no talk to! Hope you are all well. About two days ago, I started having intermittent internet problems. Mr. Lufbra and I are connected to a cable modem for internet, and every two or three hours or so, my internet will stop working. His computer is actually the "main" computer next to the modem physically, and my computer is just across the same room. His internet is still working each time mine goes down. I can get mine back every time with a reboot, but sure enough, two to three hours later it goes down again, and it has consistently done so for about two and a half days now.

Wondering about memory issues, I switched FROM the Chrome browser TO Microsoft's IE, but the same problem happened. I have Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit Operating System. Both of these desktop computers that we're using are old enough that neither is WiFi-enabled, so we are both hard-wired to the modem. Currently I believe I am using a 100-foot ethernet wire to be able to string it around the room to the modem, because that's the longest I had on hand, but I'm thinking of purchasing a 50-foot to try swapping the wire out to see if that could be the problem. I am in the process of swapping that out (must order it online, I can't think of any store near us that would sell such a long ethernet wire). I do realize this problem may be my old computer (probably about 247 years of age in human years), but before I run out to the store to spend several hundred dollars on a new one, is there some setting somewhere anybody could suggest I look at? I didn't knowingly change any settings since this started happening, and of course everything was fine a week ago. By the way, I'm working on an HP Pavilion a1512x.

Could a reformat possibly help? I can do that, though the last time I did so it was difficult because Microsoft IE couldn't even install because the computer was so old. I ended up having to install a very basic Chrome browser, somehow to get me started. Thoughts?