View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I did my experiment, just using the latest version of RegSeeker.

I loaded Windows 7 Home Premium (/w SP1) onto a 64 bit system I hand-crafted myself, using a custom build case.

Including a chunk of bread on the cpu fan I dropped from a sandwich.

Nothing else added or changed. Transferred RegSeeker from a different system, and ran it.

--------

RegSeeker apparently isn't programmed to know that "%CommonProgramFiles%" refers to "Program Files\Common Files", so mistakenly thinks that file does not exist. So wants to remove that Registry reference to it. I also don't think RegSeeker takes into account junctions (redirected file system links). Sure could cause some damage. Note it found 2042 problems on a brand new install.

---------

It also targeted every Registry Uninstall entry that wasn't reflected in Programs and Features.

Quote:
The DirectDrawEx component contains a dynamic-link library (DLL), called Ddrawex.dll, which insulates the application caller from version differences between the DLL and the installed version of Microsoft DirectDraw.
So remove that entry or not? I doubt it's a good idea.

---------

And provides the means to mass Enable or Disable non-MS services. I can tell that most of those listed are not even in play, like those for Brother printer services. Just added by Windows so that they come into play when a Brother printer (or most other brand printers) is attached. just the fact that this program gives such access to unseen functions, and the means to cause damage to them, means it's a bad idea all around.

Quote:
No REG CLEANERS are not your average tool for just anyone
Are you then not just anyone Donnie? What did you do when RegSeeker wanted to remove that tabskd,dll file reference, or the DirectDrawEx entry removal? Or do you just run it, and have it just slash and burn anything it finds?

All reg cleaners are crap.