View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:24 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi,

have you tried resetting the router to default settings, using the tiny button at the back?

You may have set security settings in the router itself, par example... password for wireless access, trusted machine IP adresses, and the windows 10 upgrade won't (I think) import these settings/logins or wants to use the more strict protocols for password encryption.

I think you ought to look into the routre security settings, and the easiest way is to set to default (hardware reset), and then reconfigure with passwords you know/standards that windows 10 is happy about.

For instance, My sitecom router will every now and then pop up a screen for some "bundled offer" for extra security which I don't use, but when it does, it requires the password. My netgear router is used for wired access (because its radio function is turned off, I use it for repair work, see) and the sitecom -plugged into the netgear and therefore behind the netgear- is used for protected wireless and one wired.
(When I need fast wireless access without addeing a trusted machine to the sitecom, I switch on the physical radio button in the "unsecured" netgear so I see the WIFI light come on and let the machine I must work on use the netgear wifi. When the job is done, I shut the radio function on netgear off so I again only use secured wifi on sitecom)

that was a besides..
But, there are reset buttons, wifi on/off buttons, and when you login into your router (198.168.1.1 for instance) you can reconfigure passwords and protocols and trusted IP (trusted IP being the trusted computers the router sees connected to it, which can be a hardened router plugged into it )

One other thing.
you may have cloned MAC adress in the past, and I realy think you cant't have two identical MAC adresses in the network trying to get out to the internet.

Hardware resetting should get rid if all these impossible situations, and you should be able to reconfiger security and make it work.