View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:08 PM

. Glad to hear your firewall did it's job. Never had anything happen myself. Just lucky I guess. It's also why I keep all my personal and non-OS stuff on the 4th drive. The other 3 only have the operating systems on them. Anyway, I Googled for a Windows Explorer update yesterday but nothing came up so I guess I was wrong about that. The label problem is also happening at other times too so it's not related to the restore. You may be wondering why I restore my registry so frequently. I do this as a safety precaution after I've been on the internet. By keeping a clean copy of it any sneeky stuff put in it by whoever or whatever gets wiped out. I'm still thinking the same thing you said about the updates I did. They were done many years ago and I've lived with the label problem for a long time now. Just thought it was time to try and solve it. It may be a strange reaction between all those updates. And one other thing occurred to me. It might have been right around the same time that I installed a RAID controller card so I could use those extra drives I got. I wonder if there is a strange reaction with that too. ME has some very unique features compared to previous Windows versions. While looking for answers to my label problem I ran across an article that talked about how ME was actually a testing ground for W2K and XP. That explains why I have seen many W2K/NT/XP dll's, vxd's, etc on my system. When you right click on a file like a dll or vxd and select properties and then look at the version tab and click on the Product Version line you see the operating system it was meant for. There is also one funny thing I have noticed in 98SE. I have 2 DVD burning rom drives in the system and they are both the same model and manufacturer. Yet when I bring up Device Manager in 98 and expand the CD Rom folder it only shows 1 DVD rom drive attached to the system but Explorer shows 2 and both are accessible seperately. And it does show all 4 hard drives even though 3 of them are the exact same model and manufacturer. Kinda strange. Probably just a bug in 98. Oh, I did find one other thing yesterday too. Part of what I noticed about the label problem was that every time it happens the desktop refreshes, a new desktop.htt file is created in \Windows\Application Data\Internet Explorer and my registry jumps up in size about 60K so I wondered if maybe it was related to the Control Panel - Display option. I looked at my DESK.CPL file properties and noticed there was no version tab. Not all files have a version tab but most do and in the past I have noticed that when they don't (and they should) they are corrupt. I pulled out my original system disc and was right. The file should have been 217K but was only 95K so I replaced it. Wasn't the problem though. Wonder how Display worked with so much of it missing? Anyway, I'm going to keep investigating and re-run those updates one-at-a-time and see what happens.