View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:08 PM

Cool

Hi Murf. Thanks for your reply. All drives on my system are FAT32. I have 4 and there is an opersting system on 3 of them. Specifically 98/ME/XP. When you click on My Computer, Windows Explorer comes up and the first thing you see are all the drives attached to the system... an icon with the drive name below it. They have always been as such: "A: Floppy Disk, C: Local Disk, D: Local Disk", etc. And that's what I'm talking about. 98 and XP show it this way and so did ME until I installed and then uninstalled the Intel Application Accelerator update. Everytime I restore the registry when I'm in ME, "C: Local Disk" gets changed to "C: LOCAL DISK" even though I have put back everything the way it was before the install. I tried the same Intel update in 98 to see if I could catch something I missed when I was doing it in ME but saw nothing unusual and when I uninstalled it from 98 everything went back to normal in 98 and I am not getting the same problem there...kinda wierd! The Intel update program probably does something a little different on ME than 98 since ME has some very different system files than 98. In fact, this update is for the Intel 810/815 chipset so it is designed to be used on any of the operating systems I have including XP. Guess I could run it again in ME and see if maybe there was something I missed. Since 98 and XP are not doing the same thing I'm guessing that the Intel update doesn't do anything sneeky like flash some new values into the BIOS rom as that would affect all drives on the system. Back to the drawing board I guess.