View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:11 PM

Question Hard Drive Label Problem

Hi. I'm seeking help with an elusive problem that has bugged me for some time now. No matter what I name ("label") my C: drive, everytime I restore my registry it gets capitalized. Never used to do this until after installing the Intel App Accelerator. Uninstalling the update has had no effect. Replacing every file it touched with the system originals has had no effect. Of course I had made a registry backup before the install and restoring that registry has had no effect. I used InCtrl5 to monitor the install and checked to see that everything Intel did was reversed. It actually touches very little. So I rename the drive again. Just caps and small letters (ie. Local Disk). Looking at the registry key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Mount Points\C (for the "C" drive) shows that what I have renamed it is there ("LabelFromReg" subkey). I save the registry with Registry Checker and reboot into DOS and use the Windows\Command\scanreg way to restore the registry (that I just made with the new name) and reboot. When boot is complete I open My Computer and there is the name (Label) re-capitalized again. I go into the registry editor again and look at the above mentioned key but now it is all zeroed out. Using the "run" method (scanreg /restore) produces the same result. It's annoying. Seems like during boot something is intercepting the label from the registry and using the volume name from the hard drive (sector 0 volume name). I have tried replacing the iosubsys files that I think might be involved at boot with their original counterparts (assuming that one might have become corrupt) but that does nothing either. This problem only happens when I restore the registry. Otherwise, it remains unchanged from each shutdown to the next startup. I have thought of every possibility I can (and tried them) yet.....????? Anybody have an idea that I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance.