View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi,

you may be able to change from UEFI to "legacy or standard" BIOS mode, which could make your hard disk accessible for setup.

For instance, a HP laptop had a defective hard disk, out of warranty, so no recovery etc... (the symptom being that recovery failed, the hard disk was eventually found defective, so it got replaced. )
After replacing it, I had to get the machine into standard BIOS mode instead of UEFI, and I installed a windows 7 that had no OEMBIOS restrictions. (I did not enter the key until I knew it ran fine, and the owner wanted win 8.1, so I used a DVD with the EI.cfg file present so I could test if it would install... which it did after blanking the drive again.

Anyhow.
I wondered if you ever made a system rescue disc, and system image/backup of that VAIO.

I would imagine VAIO would offer to burn "recovery media".
Somebody with the same model machine might burn a set, and you would be able to use it because the licence key is embedded in the UEFI bios.

Doing this on a new hard disk (factory restore from recovery DVD created from OEM recovery tools) will create a hard disk with hidden recovery partition und so weiter.
(Just like new, because after that, it would prompt you to burn recovery media...)

I've burnt recovery sets for Acer, HP, medion, amilo, etc, because I know these often don't get made by the owner, and every once in a while the extra copies I make for my toolbox come in handy.

You may find a friend who has a model like yours and have them make two sets.

You see, if you use a non restricted windows you have to use up a licence.
Which costs money.

(But if you recorded the original key, or have the one on a sticker -if it has sticker- you should be able to use activation by phone.)