View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi,
these are notes I took while looking into the "something happened" phrnomrnon.

It's worth pointing out that systems that don't meet the requirements won't see the update notification.
This situation confused some users as they didn't know for sure if the app wasn't working for them.

- Notable reasons I read about were people with not enough room on their Solid state drive (SSD) and some that had not enough room on their classic 'spinning' hard drive.
The download requires roughly 4 gigabyte, and an installation can require about 16, so you need about 20 Gb free space.
Thus, quite often a tiny size SSD will be the reason you don't even get offered the upgrade option.
The solution presented by most people is: create installation media, USB stick or DVD.
Once you made the USB or DVD, you run it from within windows 7 (with sp1 and required updates) or 8/8.1 (with the required 8.1 update also present.)
A personal note to the fact that 8.1 update has to be there is that I have seen HP laptops that would not accept the 8.1 upgrade to their 8.0 so they can't get the 8.1 update to 8.1 either.

Another personal note, and this isn't funny...
I used the creation tool and told it to make me X64 Pro ISO
I also made me a x32/x64 Pro ISO
When I needed to make a X64 Pro USB, I had to download all that stuff all over again.
so far so good, but when I asked the tool to download X64 HOME ISO (not pro, but HOME), it did the download, burnt it to DVD, and then it turned out the tool had made me a X32 version instead of the X64...
Hmmm, cleaned out the hidden windows\sofwaredistribution\download\ files and deleted the hidden $windows.BT and $windows.WS in root and started a new download again selecting the X64 version of HOME, and to my chagrin, it turned out it had AGAIN downloaded the 32bit version.
GRRRRR.
It's downloading on another machine now, and mighty slow too, but it looks as if this time it gets the correct filesize for X64 in there.
Well.. I had seen the BITxxxxx.tmp filesize (which is the file that should have become installx64.esd but had become the 32 bit version installx86.esd and these have a quite noticable different filesize) (about 600megabyte different).

somebody asked
Q: The file is BITFE10.tmp and i cannot do the steps until this has been deleted. Anyone else had this problem?
A; try stopping the BITS service by (elevated) prompt: net stop bits
(My personal note; the tmp file gets other names in other downloads. I would look at its filesize before I delete it. About 2.03 Giga is x32 version, about 2.64 giga is the X64 version)

So, If I got this issue, chances are others had it too.
And you do get an early warning, please insert the x64 disk, if you run it to upgrade a x64 win 81 update.
Aha, x64 windows 8.1 update (plain and simple) is the HOME version, and the Pro version says x64 windows 8.1 Pro.
(it don't say Pro update, which it is...)

I figure a lot of 'something happened" errors were caused by choosing the PRO version to upgrade a HOME version.
------
SOMETHING HAPPENED.
------
Somebody wrote:
What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted.
Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

other troubleshooting
Method 1:
Check if this update gets failed under Windows update history.
a. Press "Win key + w" on the keyboard.
b. Type Windows update in the search box and Click "View update history" which appears on the left side of the screen and check.
Method 2:
Try and check if the pending.xml is present in this location
c:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml.
If it is present try to delete it with these commands.
Copy and paste these commands in Command Prompt(admin)
TAKEOWN /F c:\windows\winsxs
ICACLS c:\windows\winsxs /grant administrators:F
Note: To open command prompt in Administrator mode press the Win key + x on the keyboard and select Command Prompt(admin).
Method 3:
Try to install the updates manually with these links:
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2887069) ----- For 32 bit computers.
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2887069)----- For 64 bit computers.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=41289
-----------------------------------------
More observations
I personally configured most machines to not have all networking options ON
Ok, they's in a home environment, but if the printer isn't shared, why run that service?
If you want to network at home, you can turn it on easily enough and configure it in your own pace, but I turn it off when I install a PC/laptop off location.
What use is it?
If I have to do it for them I have to do it ON location.
So, I turn this off.
Now I think windows 10 upgrade seems to need those services running to be able to create its temporary files to network folders.

-----------------------------------------
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...883265b?auth=1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...te-windows-8-1

I hope there is something useful in this for you.