View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question Dead motherboard?

I recently bought a motherboard from a friend and after a week of using it I started to notice problems with it. So I stripped all the components out of it (memory, hard drives etc) so all that was left was the cpu and the power supply. I turned it on, and it beeped asking for memory which was fine, i added the memory, turned it on again and it beeped once, everything fine.

So I added my graphics card, again it beeped once saying everything is fine and it posts ok asking for hard drive but when I added the hard drive which is an ide drive with an ide slot on the motherboard and start it, it beeps constantly, fast constant beeps and hangs on the detection of a hard drive after post and sometimes even the cpu fan stops spinning (to which i turn it off immediately). It even does this if I have just the ide ribbon cable just attached to the motherboards ide slot without the hard drive connected to it. It also does this on the secondary ide slot i have on my motherboard. I dont think it could be a problem with the power supply as I have tried the power supply in another machine and it works fine.

Is my motherboard dead or is there a way to fix this?
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I865GME-775-RH

Thanks

Last edited by karlosio; March 23rd, 2010 at 02:19 PM.