View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:18 PM

reboot cycle

If any one can help me..it would be greatly appreciated.

My father had given me his machine to work on yesterday. The machine was stuck in a reboot cycle. He has a HP 576x desktop that when you turn it on, the HP splash screen comes up and then appears to be loading the OS (XP home), at which time the screen goes black and flashes the message "no signal". I thought this might have been the video card and replaced it with a new card, but unfortunatley the problem continued. I slaved his hard disk to mine and was able to boot the OS with no problems, showing me the hard drive was intact. I ran a couple of checks on it and found nothing. I put his hard drive back into his machine and recieved the no signal message again. On a huntch, I took his stick of PC 2100 512mb or ram and replaced it with ram which is exactly the same. At that point his machine booted fine and was fully functional. I told him to go buy a new stick of ram that he has a bad stick of memory. I took my stick out of his machine and put in back in my box and now I am have a problem where my machine will not boot the OS. It keeps asking me to repair the file. I am completely stumped. Can any give me some ideas?