View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi Jim,
I don't recall if, in WIN95, you could enter WIN95 in the manner that you described.......in fact, I don't think I ever tried it, and I don't currently have that operating system installed.

Not certain about ME (I'll check that out in a bit, as you've got my curiosity going about this), but in WIN98 it is possible to get to the Desktop in the manner that you described....with limitations. First, you'd have to add the ifshlp.sys file to the startup floppy disk (this file can be found in the C:\Windows folder) and then reference it in the [COMMON] section of the config.sys file on the startup floppy disk, by adding this entry:
devicehigh=ifshlp.sys
Save the changes and exit the config.sys file.

The limitations are that you will not be able to load the virtual device drivers that Windows so greatly depends upon. If you booted from the edited startup floppy disk, it would load the Standard VGA drivers for your display (after detecting new hardware and probably giving an error about the display adapter being unsupported). Other hardware that depends on virtual device drivers would also be inoperable (except for the CDROM if you chose to start WITH CDROM SUPPORT).