View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Resolved :d

Not exactly quite sure what was wrong with it but I will give you guys a small write-up.

HP Pavilion ze4600 - Would only boot up to right before the login screen than it would shut down. Could only boot up into Safe mode. I than decided to see what would happen if I just hit esc and enter without stopping. It then got to the part where it just shut down, but after that it would only turn on for about a half second. (not enough time to even get in the CMOS). I then held in the reset button on the bottom of the laptop twice for thirty seconds each time. I was then able to get into the CMOS and change the drive boot sequence from DVD first to HD first. I was then able to boot up into Windows just fine after saving the changes I made in the CMOS.

PLEASE back-up your data before trying any of this (I was able to back up my data in Safe mode) if you are having a similar problem.

I also tried putting in more memory (it only had 256 MB in it), but that did not fix it.
I tried un-checking all the start-up items in msconfig, but that did not work.
I tried system restore, to a date that I knew the problem was after, and that did not work either
A HD self check also showed/did nothing.

Hope this helps anyone having a simular problem. Jon T.

Last edited by Jeepsburg; August 30th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.