View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2020, 07:49 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
I am not sure the problem. I just played around with Search and didn't have problem finding files in File Explorer or via the command prompt.

As for Indexing, unless disabled, Indexing is done automatically. And all Indexing really does is make searches faster. Indexing is not a requirement to find anything.

Have you tried different external drives or maybe try that external drive on another computer?
Good idea to look at another external drive. I tried it and the search worked as expected. It still fails with the first drive I used. The only difference I can see is that the one drive having the problem has a longer name. The one working is labeled My Book 1 TB A (G: ) and the one that fails is My Book 1 TB C Pictures Backup (F: ). The one that fails on Windows 10 doesn't have the problem on my XP PC.

I tried changing the longer name to My Book 1 TB C but it still failed. Must be something unique to that drive. Curiously, both are Western Digital drives. In File Explorer there is a little WD logo before the name for the drive that can be searched but the drive that fails just has a generic disc icon. May not mean anything.

At any rate, I got the info I wanted, and I have done searches successfully with other drives so I guess I hit a fluke thing based on my external drive.

Thanks to all for your input.