View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When first assembling a motherboard, place the motherboard in the case to line up the hold down screws and or standoffs. Then remove board, screw in the stand offs (brass ones), they come in both course and fine thread. Can also use plastic standoffs.

Install the I/O bracket.

Now with the motherboard out of the case, place it on a solid surface make sure you have non-static material under the board. You can use the wrapper that came with the board or the packing cushion. If not available, use a piece of cardboard. With the motherboard on a solid surface now install the memory, the processor, heat sink and fan.

Installing these items while the bare motherboard is attached to case, could result in cracking the board, as the pressure of installing the memory, and in particular the heat sink, processor bends the board.

Oversize heat sinks, fans (HSF) can be heavy and can take some pressure to install.

Once these are installed you can put the motherboard into the case. Do not lift the motherboard by the HSF, as you could break the processor retainer.

When installing the motherboard against the I/O back plate you will need to exert some pressure as the I/O back plate will have some extruding pieces, make sure they do not extrude into one of the connector openings.

Once in place, screw down the two screws closest to the I/O plate first.