View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Hi CPUGeek,

When you say, "I figured it to be the culpret this did not fix the problem", you do not say how or why 'this', (whatever 'this' is), did not fix the problem??

Did you exchange the power supply? In my experience it sounds like the smoke and dust you are experiencing is from most likely the transformer in the power supply.

My advice is to disconnect all power output lines (including to the mobo) and then turn on the juice. If you still experience the heat and/or smke then I'll bet the problem is with your power supply.

If the power supply seems OK at that point then the problem could be with the mobo or something connected to it. (A short maybe causing excess current being drawn from the power supply or componant failure.) If you have access to a multimeter take a reading of the output voltage of the power line just as a matter of interest - somewhere in your mobo instructions should be it's power rating or the power supply itself should have an outout rating notice (unless it's burnt away).

The above info is a decent general fault finding guide but unless you can catagorically say that the power supply ain't the problem then I'd have a gusee that it is.

Good luck

meeeeeeeeee