View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I think the order is correct, by popularity.

However I would dispute the list in the market share site. It is easy to derive figures for things that are actually sold, regardless of what they are. One just gathers revenue figures from marketing companies, or the like.

It is a bit harder to gather accurate statistics for things that are given away for free. For example I have a system here running Linux, on another computer, I am not a registered Linux user, nor did I purchase the OS. I guess my system has not been counted anywhere, as a Linux system. I wonder how many others there are out there in the same boat?

I will be at Linux Conference in Brisbane LCA2011 in January together with some thousand or more others, all with laptops running some version of Linux. I wonder how many of those have been counted, particularly as many were purchased with a pre-installed MS operating system, which has since been dumped.

If you question this, try and purchase a laptop without a MS operating system installed, yes you can get them, but usually they cost more, due to the agreements the manufacturer have with MS. I guess there are exceptions, but I've not found them. So I assert that the figures on popularity are skewed towards MS and away from Linux.

OK it probably won't alter the order, but from a nit picking point on view, 1.07% for Linux is just not correct. If web servers were to be included, the figures are defiantly incorrect. LAMP systems for small web servers I believe would be supreme.