Topic: Boot failure
View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2018, 02:18 AM

Boot failure

I recently downloaded an update from Dell on my laptop with Windows 10 OS. I think the update was an update for the Bios. Anyway after the update installed, my computer would no longer boot in Windows 10. I reset the BIOS to default in an attempt to resolve the problem, but nothing I did resolved the problem. I realize that I can go online and download a recovery tool. But using that will delete all of my files, which I don't want to lose.
In the past, I have completed several recoveries on the Dell laptop due to some problems developed from incompatible program installations. However in those instances I could still boot up in Windows 10, and select the recovery option that allowed me to retain my files. Now with the computer refusing to boot I don't have that option available. Is there some way that I can connect the old laptop that I am using for this messaging, to transfer the files from my Dell laptop hard drive to this computer. I have plenty of storage available on this to hold the files so that I can reinstall them to the Dell when and if I get a satisfactory recovery completed.