View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2001, 04:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

>That's the funny thing Junky!! It's only a little over a year old!! Not like it is 5 or something!! The worst part is that I have pretty much had problems with it since the beginning. It's always one thing or another.

That's not a good sign. Is it Windows that is the problem, or do you know for a fact that it's hardware?

>I have never had the cover off of it. I'm not a tech, but I am sure I can figure out what is what inside. If not, I can get help.

There was a time that I didn't know how to install memory. Gotta start somewhere. First thing I'd do is open the computer and take a look-see. Does anything look out of place. Is it dirty inside. Check connections on all ribbon cables, cards, RAM.

>I am also having another problem where I get kicked off the net. I stay connected to AOL, but I cannot get a line to the net. Strange huh??

I'd be calling tech support with my ISP and getting this worked out. I'd keep after them until they help get it all working correctly or I'd change ISP's.

>I was toying with the idea of wiping the dumb thing clean and starting over. I have all the software I would need, I think.

I've been working on computers now for 5 years or better. I used to try and fight through things trying to get them to work right. Things that shouldn't be happening. Then one day I got sick of the fights, did a "format" and reinstalled windows fresh. There's alot less work in doing it that way. A trick I've learned when installing windows is to have only the drives, RAM and video card installed...nothing else. Makes it real easy for windows to set itself up that way. Then add the sound card, make sure it's working OK and that all is well, then add something else. Always one at a time until I have everything working correctly. I find that I vertually never have a problem with windows installing that way.

>What are your thoughts on this?? Do you think that would help this problem too??

If I had been having troubles with a machine from the get-go, I'd start all over. Get it running smooth with no errors. It can be done. Just takes time and knowing how to install windows. I've got to a point that I'd rather reinstall windows than to try and fight with some dumb error. I've become a good windows installer.