View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
Anyway, you said that you think that I don't have any viruses, but, what about that file in Avira's quarantine that I mentioned: C:\...\setup_110049_3_3.exe?
No, I said "there no sign of infection in your logs". It's possible that a Windows file could be overwritten by a malware file or you could have a rootkit infection however if this did occur, 90% of the time there will be some sign of infection in your logs.

Quote:
what about that file in Avira's quarantine that I mentioned: C:\...\setup_110049_3_3.exe?
Well once a file is quarantined, the threat of infection from that file is removed so that will not show in a log either.

Quote:
4 hours later the antivirus program on it (AVG Free) popped an alarm that it had caught a virus (and it did it twice).
That doesnt tell me much. Do you know the filename and filepath of the file?

Quote:
I get the picture that is my desktop but there are no shortcuts, no files, no Start Menu, no toolbars.
It sounds as though Explorer is not running. Boot into Safe Mode (restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts). Does your Start Menu and Taskbar etc load now?