View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

I agree with most of what Rockhound said with a few exceptions. I too think the dual core has "future" written all over it but for a few more $ why not go to 4200 which has a meg of cache whereas the 3800 is 512, and I am sure you will appreciate the difference.
While the Nforce4 has been problematic, it is at it's worst with Asus mobos I hate to tell you because I have always loved Asus mobos. I see only one video card purchase so I would like to suggest that you get away from Asus and SLI unless you intend to use sli later on, as I have a suspicion that that new technology coupled with the nforce4 may be the real probelm folks are experiencing.
I have just done this system with 4200 dual core and after 2 bad Asus boards I switched to this one which has been super. It has an sli version should you really want that, but I walked away from it for reasons mentioned earlier.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138270
For ram I don't know who OCZ is (meaning new relatively unknown brand carried by most of these guys at same prices as known ones) and so I would recommend Corsair, Kingston or Crucial which are top notch and been around forever.
Other point I agree with you is on Raptor drives...they are incredible and I would not be without one and I do not care what you are doing, you will see this difference. Oh and use the Artic Silver and scrape off (carefully) what the mfgr's put on, it pays.