View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Question Task Manager/Task List

Hey Jintan: Thanks for sticking with me on this post re my IBM Thinkpad. I d/loaded and installed Ad-Aware SE Personal, then ran an update and scan. It found 8 critical objects (Alexa) and I had them deleted by A-A. Then I tried to d/load and run the free virus scan by TrendMicro Housecall. It started d/loading and then the mouse and screen froze and wouldn't budge (an aside here - what can you do to shut down the computer safely - pc or laptop - when the screen and mouse freeze??). Anyway I had to power it off and disconnect - then when I restarted I got the error message saying because it was not shut down properly Win98 checked the disk for errors. I tried again to d/load TrendMicro housecall virus scan and again it froze...so I powered it off. What do you think causes this problem? and if I can't get housecall to run, is there another reliable free scan I can access? If I can successfully scan for and remove any resident viruses/trojans, then I will see if I can post the HijackThis log.
Also, I still have Zone Alarm, SpybotS&D and AVG already d/l to my desktop but not yet installed...so should I wait to (a) virus scan the laptop first with an online scan e.g. 'housecall' or any other you might recommend for me... before installing ZA, SS&D and AVG (b) and do I do the HJT log before or after I install those programs? Again, many thanks for any help you or any others on this board may be able to provide.