View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM

O/S: MacOS
I am running a domain with Windows 2000 Server as the DC (Active Directory / DNS / Print Server). I am copying from a local SATA drive on the Ultimate comp to a remote SATA RAID Array (using a PCI RAID controller - Promise FastTrak TX-4310) on the Vista Business comp which is running essentially as a file server. The Vista Business comp is set to utilize processor performance for background tasks.

I never even thought about using FTP, I'll have to give that a try.

As for a little testing I did last night using DiskMon and Process Explorer, I monitored the disk and process usage while at idle and while I was just using for normal activities (minus gaming) to get an idea of normal usage. Then I transferred 150 files totaling 11.6GB and monitored. The only obvious difference was that there was a lot more reads on the drive (different physical drive than Windows install drive) and that the CPU usage was a lot higher with both monitoring tools running, but the CPU usage dropped back to almost nothing once I closed the 2 apps.

Hopefully FTP will be a good workaround. I can live with that since transferring is fine between all other comps, and especially since I was eventually going to set up the Vista Business comp as an FTP server anyway. Thanks for your help z1p!