View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Whoa! While I am all for SSDs these days, the fact this new machine having a HD, does NOT explain why transfer speeds on her new computer are worse than yours with your 10 year old computer. Something else is going on.

The i5-10400 is hardly "top-of-the-line" but with 6 cores and 12 threads, it should easily outperform your 4 core, 4 thread processor.

And for sure, it is likely her hard drive's performance is comparable to yours.

You do have more RAM which is important, but I will assume it is DDR3 where hers is DDR4 - so that should help level that playing field. And 12GB is still a nice chunk.

However, you have a dedicated graphics card and she does not. That means two things. (1) Some of her CPU's horsepower is going to graphics processing instead of handing off those tasks to the separate GPU. And (2), your card has its own dedicated RAM for graphics processing while some of her system RAM has been stolen... err... is being "shared" for those graphics processing tasks. This means she has less than 12GB available for other tasks.

Have you compared file transfers with the exact same files?

Also, how do both computers connect? Ethernet? Wifi? If wifi, are they on the same band (2.4GHz or 5GHz)? Are they both the same distance from the WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated with the router)? Same barriers (walls, floors, ceilings, metal file cabinets) in between the computer and WAP?

Is her Internet performance unsatisfactory too - or just file transfer?