View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:08 AM

Help needed!! File sharing but no internet access on Win98SE

Yay! I am amazed to find a forum for win98 that is still active!!

I am having a problem with home networking that someone may be able to help me with. I have an old P200 Dell desktop with dual boot Win98SE and WinXP (SP3). I have this computer networked on a crossover ethernet cable to a newer P4 Titan running WinXP (SP3).

File sharing is no problem and works well between the newer P4 system and both systems on the older P200 system. I have the P4 system set up as "PC1", the XP system on the older P200 as "PC2", and the 98SE system on there as "PC3".

However when I set up the internet connections for these I ran into problems. I can only get browser access on the XP system on the older computer through the network.

But as for 98SE, the internet is just not working. No matter what setting I have tried it will not work. I have tried running the ICU wizard many times, but this seems broken and does nothing. I am possibly missing some very simple step or perhaps something is wrong in my settings in Explorer 6. It seems that sharing needs to be enabled but I cannot understand how to do this and the ICU wizard is not very helpful. In fact it makes little sense to me.

I am running Explorer 8 on the new computer and on the XP system on the old P200, but am only running Explorer 6 on the 98SE system. Could this be the cause of the problem?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Regards
Ian

Last edited by IanM2; September 30th, 2010 at 02:11 AM.