View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2015, 06:05 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Rift MMO crashing after about 5 minutes of being in game

Well Cybertech, seems like every time my subscription lapses I have a new problem I need help with within two weeks - very suspicious Cybertech!! - it has happened twice so far, and I always end up resubscribing thanks to the help I get here, so I am hoping tonight is the same.

I have been playing Rift, and tonight it started crashing on me every 5 minutes or so once I start it up. I was playing the Steam version of Rift for a while, but I kept getting graphical issues every other day that caused me to need to verify the files and redownload. So I switched to the glyph client that the game developer has, and have been using thta for 2 days now. I played for about 6 hours straight today (oh hush, it is my day off) without incident. But in the last couple of hours I have been getting these freezes and crashes.
It often ends up in my entire pc freezing up and I also got a blue screen on one occasion. Sometimes the game will just CTD, so it is not consistent, other than the fact it just started tonight and keeps me from being able to stay on for more than a few minutes.
I have a monitor on some of my GPU statistics, and I do not see any issues like a spike in usage or voltage or anything. I did recently get a new R9 280, so that is why I even bring it up. I have run stress tests to check that it does not crash under pressure. I ran the furmark test for 10 minutes, and also the benchmark test that furmark has.

I have one bad hard drive on my system, but I have been too lazy to open it up. I get a message upon starting my PC that the drive is bad and should be replaced soon. I have cleared everything off of that drive as far as I know, so all of my accessed files should be on one of my good drives as far as I know.
I just disconnected its SATA cable, so that will rule out anything there.

I have McAfee installed and active scan turned on in case that is relevant. I have had some malware issues recently, and I had to do some cleaning with McAfee, Malwarbytes, and ADWCleaner. I have since uninstalled ADWCleaner, and I have disables Malwarebytes as far as I know, but perhaps I should uninstall Malwarebytes altogether to ensure I am not getting a Virus protection conflict?
I also used something called hitmanpro that I have since uninstalled. I am worried about that one looking back, it had some suspicious behaviors. But my malware is gone

I have the log files that should help with troubleshooting from the most recent BSoD. Though I am not seeing a way to attach them (I seem to recall being able to do so in the past?)

So here are the files in a drop box location with the Minidump file and the System Data XML file:
(fyi, I uploaded the original .dmp file, but I also uploaded a version with a .txt extension so that you cna open it straight in your browser instead of needing to download the .dmp file.)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kegnnqf4n...Yp6OTK1ta?dl=0

I did a file repair on the game, and it still crashed after that.

...10 minutes later...
In the course of writing up this thread, I was doing a clean install of the game. I got a BSoD, so it seems to not be triggered solely by playing the game. I cannot add that latest dump file either, because I get an access denied message when trying to view or copy the file. The latest file is the exact same size as the other dump file in my dropbox share, but I cannot access the contents at the moment.

So I am not sure if this is enough to help - if not, please instruct me on how I can begin the process of troubleshooting this.

Thanks

Last edited by Meghiddo; August 9th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.