View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Important News for some HP, Dell and Apple laptop owners!

Over the last few years there have been an unusually high number of HP and Dell, and some Apple laptops, that have failed, and with no initial explanation of what caused the failure.

As the list of failed laptops grew, it it soon became apparent these failing laptops were showing some of the same symptoms, and that all of them had the same graphics chip, made by the Nvidia Corporation.

Reports like this one have been numerous, suggesting a growing negative view on how the vendors responded to the problems, echoing the angry posts and reports of the many, many (many) Hewlett Packard and Dell laptop owners who had a dead laptop, and no solutions. Many. I should mention, as is also stated at that site's report, that Apple's response to the situation is viewed as timely, and responsive.

The good news is that as a result of a Class Action suit, on December 20, 2010, the Court agreed to an NVIDIA settlement offer, which may just be that unavailable solution for these many frustrated laptop owners. Instead of me copy/pasting parts of the important information surrounding the good news, be sure to read through the details here, the official site for this Action:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com

If you know of any family members or friends who you think may have one of these laptops, please be sure to let them know about the updated situation, and the Settlement website. All claims have to be filed (Postmarked) before the March 14, 2011 deadline.

I have helped assess 5 or 6 of the effected laptops, and all I checked just quit starting up. A quick display of some lights after pressing the On button, and then nothing. But again, more details can be had on the symptoms at the Settlement website.