View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM

Yeah that would be nice. Maybe it could be done by saving the SYSTEM.DAT, USER.DAT and CLASSES.DAT files (SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT in 98), after they have been restored, to the Windows\Sysbckup folder and then use a couple lines like this in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSBACKUP\SYSTEM.DAT C:\WINDOWS
COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSBACKUP\USER.DAT C:\WINDOWS
COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSBACKUP\CLASSES.DAT C:\WINDOWS

You would probably need to use a switch after each of those lines to turn off the confirm. I might try this for fun to see if it works. The only other way would be if you put a line in AUTOEXEC.BAT like this:

C:\Windows\Command\Scanreg.exe /Restore

But that wouldn't work 'cause Scanreg (DOS version) always reboots after restoring the registry and you would wind up in an endless loop. And you couldn't use Scanregw because it needs Windows to run and at boot you're in DOS mode.

I've seen that happen on mine too. It's pretty rare and like you I have no idea what causes that. They show up as RBBAD. Making it "Read Only" is a good idea. I'm going to do that with mine too. Maybe Windows is set up to trash the registry backup when it gets too old? Another idea would be to save an extra copy, which I also do, in another folder or on another drive if you have more than one. Even a flash drive if you have one. I learned this from the same experience as you when you go to restore the registry and find the backup is no good. Now you're in trouble. If you do backups of your hard drive it would be in there too and could be restored to the drive and then restored using Scanreg. Anyway, still working on the other problem but no success yet.