View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM

intermittent connection on one computer

We are in the Philippines, with two computers, and the problem applies only to one of them.
We use a SmartBro dsl service, connected by antenna to a Planet WRT-415 router.
Both computers are fed by cable. I run XP SP1 - I took out SP2 as it seemed to make my computer run slowly. The other computer didn't suffer and has SP2. We had problems that seemed related to DNS and I put in the OpenDNS IPs on both computers. We have no problems with DNS now. I don't understand ICS, so we presumably don't have it.
My computer suffers poor Internet connection. It will go off line for a few seconds or minute or two or five, return and go off again. I counted 27 interruptions during a four minute track on last.fm one bad night. Sometimes it won't return at all unless I restart the computer - log-off doesn't do it. Once I had to reinstall the network connection and local area connection.
I thought - LAN card? We had one that failed in a month. However putting the cable into the on-board LAN card gave me no connection at all.
All wiring has been checked. Since my long wire (19m) had to be made by crimping the cable I added two short factory-made cables to each end so that the crimped connection could be fixed down.
Just to repeat that it's not a service problem, as our other computer doesn't suffer.