Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to troubleshoot why internet keeps dropping? (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=234605)

Liz81 April 26th, 2021 01:18 AM

How to troubleshoot why internet keeps dropping?

I have a netgear wireless router. From time to time, the internet would just drop on all devices (computer, laptops, ipads, phones). The only way to get connected again is to unplug the modem and router and replug. Not sure if unplugging modem is necessary but I do that while I'm unplugging and replugging the router before the internet on all devices begin working again. If it's working again after unplugging and replugging, what could it mean? I thought it was because I was watching a lot of Hulu on my smart tv so I stopped watching it. It seemed to help for a little over a week but right now, I'm still not watching Hulu and it's happened again. I noticed someone else on another smart tv watching Peacock the night before last. Can TV/movie streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and Peacock on a smart tv cause problems for the internet? What if we just watch it on a computer?

The Dude April 26th, 2021 07:53 AM

Ya when I had a toshiba modem it kept losing sync with the network and I had to unpliug and reboot it ALOT!!! (The levels on this cable network are not good and it kept freezing)

I wonder if thats whats going on with yours??

renegade600 April 26th, 2021 09:31 AM

one possible cause is the router is getting old. I How long have you had it and what is the model number. You may also want to go into the router settings and make sure it has the latest updates. if there are several streaming at the same time, there could be issues depending on your internet plan. You can watch everything on the computer if you want. If you are not having any problems if you watch on a computer, then it could be a smart tv issue.

Liz81 April 26th, 2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade600 (Post 1309745)
one possible cause is the router is getting old. I How long have you had it and what is the model number. You may also want to go into the router settings and make sure it has the latest updates. if there are several streaming at the same time, there could be issues depending on your internet plan. You can watch everything on the computer if you want. If you are not having any problems if you watch on a computer, then it could be a smart tv issue.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart wifi router. Model is R7000. I've actually only had this router for just 6 months. I'm thinking it's a faulty or defective router. I didn't get the new router but I was a little concerned when we got it from Best Buy. Isn't it better to get one from your ISP? Seem like we've gotten one in the past directly from the ISP for free and not some store but I'm not sure.

I tried Hulu on my computer for a week after this problem and it was better til just yesterday so I don't know if it's Hulu that did it after being played on my computer for a week or if it's something else. Sometimes when I would try watching Hulu on the smart tv, the message comes up and say there's no internet connection even though there really is. After a while, the internet would start dropping more often. So I stopped watching Hulu on the TV (which helped the internet) and watched it on the computer instead and my internet was doing better til just yesterday. I don't know if that's just going to be a one time fluke since watching Hulu on the computer or what but I hope so.

I decided to lay off from Hulu completely from TV, computer, phones etc.. for a couple of weeks to see what happens. Probably could use a break from it anyway.

EDIT:
Ok I just logged into my router settings to see how many devices are attached to the router. Right now, just 4. Last night we had some people over and they were playing with their phones so it's understandable why the router didn't work then though it doesn't explain why this never happened when they're all here before (they're here about every weekend and we don't have this issue every time til last night) and the internet would drop sometime even with everyone gone and very few devices are on at the time.

Next, I noticed my modem and router were warm and I read that it's probably because my firmware is out of date. So I checked for an update. I've already had the most recent update so no need to upgrade or update to a new version.

Sigh! So... not too many devices on my router and my router firmware is already up to date so now that I've eliminated those problems... now what? Oh and I checked the log to see if I can learn anything like something weird going on. Nothing. Just a bunch of MAC addresses and their times etc.... and from last night, it said the internet disconnected before getting connected again. By that the internet being disconnected, I don't know if they meant the internet dropped before unplugging the router or if that meant the router was unplugged. I can't remember the exact time I unplugged the router. I just know the internet went out when no one was home. The internet was ok when I was online, then I left home for at least an hour not using any devices away from the house then when I got home, the internet was out until I unplugged and replugged both the modem and router. Not sure if I should've unplugged the modem too but I suppose I could try unplugging and replugging only the router if this happens again.