Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows Vista (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   "Need Permission?" (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=160805)

helloKitty July 24th, 2007 06:05 PM

"Need Permission?"

I'm just trying to organize my computer a little bit and all of a sudden it tells me i need administrative permission? I am the administrater and am logged into my account. I don't get it. I thought that i could always do this sort of stuff on my comp before, but i could be mistaken. How do i get administrive permission so i can follow through my actions? Also, I wanted to send a folder on my desktop to the recycling bin and I couldn't do that because i needed permission. I am logged in as the administrator so i dont see the problem.

Murf July 24th, 2007 07:45 PM

Welcome to CTH

ReadTHIS, I personnaly have turned it off, if the only one using the computer, then in my opinion, no need for it. However, it does prevent a program from getting full access to the system.

To turn it off:

helloKitty July 24th, 2007 11:54 PM

I know what the UAC security thing is all about, I didn't exactly want to turn it off. My problem is, is that I want to know how to get permission to delete the folder off of my desktop. As annoying as the permission thingy is, i do appreciate its value. All i want to know is how to get permission to delete my folder, so i can do that and still have the UAC control thingy turned on. If that is not possible just let me know.

Thanx alot.

Murf July 25th, 2007 12:25 AM

OK,

Double click on "My Computer" then right click on your C: drive and go to properties. Now go to the "Security TAB", now you will see the "Users" that have profiles. You click on one, in the lower pane it will show what permissions they have. You then click edit to check what permissions you want to give, in your case all of them.

You can also do this for folders by right clicking on a folder then to properties, then to Security TAB....

helloKitty July 25th, 2007 03:43 AM

I gave all of the types of permissions possible to my user, all of which except "Special Premissions". I did this through both the single folder i wanted to delete (right clicking the folder itself), and through right clicking C: as well. I adjusted all of the security options according to how i wanted them (all options possible), and even with "full control", I still could not do something as simple as delete a folder off of my desktop. I attempted to give "Special Permission" control to my user by clicking advanced once in the security tabs. It seemed as though i was doing everything right, but the results of my efforts pointed to the contrary. I failed miserably *laughs*. In all seriousness, I am pretty decent with computers and i do believe i did everything right with regards to giving my user full control and "Special Permissions". So I think i may have to turn the hole UAC thingy off, delete the folder, then turn it back on. However, If you know something else i could do with the UAC still on, I would really appreciate the help. Also, if you could also show me how to turn the UAC off (if you don't come up with a solution to the problem) I would also appreciate that.

Once again, Thanks for your time.

Murf July 25th, 2007 05:14 AM

On the folder:

Right click then to properties, security, advanced
- Take ownership as admin (click on Owner TAB)
- close all windows and repeat first step
- give admin all permissions
- apply
- delete

This sucks as you have to do this for each folder.

Here some good reading and tells you how to turn off/on UAC

Pay particular attention to Elevated Permissions

In Vista by default when you create an Administrative user, Vista will generate 2 separate user tokens, one that has Administrative access to the system, and another that has normal user (restricted) access to the system. When the user is logged into Vista, by default the system uses the token associated with the normal user, but if an application attempts to do something that requires elevated privileges, Windows Vista will warn the user with a dialog asking if they started the program, and if it's OK to use the Administrator token to perform the operation. This means that if malicious software tries to infiltrate the system without being detected by the user, as soon as it attempts to do anything that requires administrative access, it's cover will be blown, and the user alerted to what's going on.

helloKitty July 25th, 2007 06:22 PM

I fixed the problem. Thanx for the help.