Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TL3 Telephone record lead white lead TL3 telephone line record lead strange problem (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=163458)

jp45678 August 26th, 2007 12:28 AM

TL3 Telephone record lead white lead TL3 telephone line record lead strange problem

Hi, I didn't really know where else to look for answers to this:

I have recently bought a device to record phone conversations for interviews with staff, very simple device, plug one end into a phone line. and the other into the microphone/line in socket on the laptop/desktop.

The first time i set it up and used it, it worked absolutely perfectly, i used nero wave editor to record an input and it worked brilliantly. I have since tried to use it and noticed a loud white noise on the line, so loud, its impossible to hear the person talking.

I noticed the problem was that when the laptop had its power lead plugged in, there was a massive amount of static. I can literally have it working perfectly and plug it in and watch the sound wave become entirely static.

This is fine and i may hear you shout, dont plug it in, how long are your conversations? .... but it is the same on desktops but obviously i can't unplug the power.

Does anybody know of a reason for this/solution for it?

Also, i have tried software other than nero. The windows sound recorder does the same, as does another bit of software, i forget it's name, but they all give exactly the same results.

Thanks in advance...

misterbadnback August 26th, 2007 09:38 PM

If you have the Mic boost checked it could be causing the problems so you will have to disable it. It could also be that you have the phone or base to the phone to close to the laptop/PC so you will have to move it further away. You can also try turning the volume down on the Mic. Go to your Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and under the Volume tab "Device Volume" click "Advanced" then click on Options then properties, put a check in recording and in the bottom put a check in phone Line and click ok. You will have a set of controls come up and you should make sure that you have a check in the box beside "select under Phone Line and set the volume to half way. Then close out the controls and everything. You can also try NERO Soundtrax for that just just open soundtrax click on the audio on the top and click Record and when the little Popup comes up just click ok. Then under audio input settings open the drop down box and click on phone line. Then on the right side click record. That should help you out. You can also under the audio input set the slider so that both meters are in the yellow (you don't want them in the red) and if both are in the yellow it makes for a better recording.

Report back if you have any problems or to just say it works better.