Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 7 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Windows Update Problem - Maybe Solved (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=231975)

Murf December 2nd, 2016 03:36 AM

Windows Update Problem - Maybe Solved

Normally we would not link to or redirect to another Computer Help Forum. But one of our members IPR512 found the following at Bleeping Computer, lets give credit to MoxieMomma for posting the following:

"Quote" This has been a serious and widespread problem for Win7 (and Vista and 8/8.1) for many months.

But there is a solution.

This worked for me on 2 Win7 systems and for many, many others at another forum who had the same issue.

Let's try this:
  1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.
The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".
WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

MM "Unquote"

Thanks IPR512 for a great find

IPR512 December 2nd, 2016 08:47 AM

You're very welcome, and I hope it helps many frustrated users as much as it helped me. I wish I would've found this solution sooner though, because it would've saved me hours of checking for updates, Microsoft fixes that didn't help, and in desperation a reformat, and reinstall of Windows 7 that left me with the same problem a number of months ago.
I know it works, because as recently as a week ago when another computer was going through endless searching for updates for more than twenty four hours I found MoxieMomma's solution, and it worked like a charm.

Jaytee December 2nd, 2016 07:40 PM

Thanks heaps Jill,
Myself and four others are grateful of your find..:)

IPR512 December 2nd, 2016 07:49 PM

You're very welcome John, thanks for letting me know. Thanks to Murf who posted the Sticky.

ArebraZela October 18th, 2017 01:09 PM

Windows Update Problem Maybe Solved

sorry to hijack this thread. Anyone have problem where search cannot find app installed in windows like steam,cpuz and search window paint when click do nothing . Using Windows 10 Creators Update.

IPR512 October 18th, 2017 01:35 PM

If you're sorry to hijack the thread then why don't you just post in the proper forum, and start a thread of your own?

Tanyiah February 3rd, 2019 04:45 AM

Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPR512 (Post 1295918)
You're very welcome, and I hope it helps many frustrated users as much as it helped me. I wish I would've found this solution sooner though, because it would've saved me hours of checking for updates, Microsoft fixes that didn't help, and in desperation a reformat, and reinstall of Windows 7 that left me with the same problem a number of months ago. I know it works, because as recently as a week ago when another computer was going through endless searching for updates for more than twenty four hours I found MoxieMomma's solution, and it worked like a charm and I hope Pnr Status TextNow VPN Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox it helps many frustrated users as much as it helped me. I wish I would've found this solution sooner though, because it would've saved me hours of checking for updates, Microsoft fixes that didn't help, and in desperation a reformat, and reinstall of Windows 7 that left me with the same problem a number of months ago.
I know it works, because as recently as a week ago when another computer was going through endless searching for updates for more than twenty four hours I found MoxieMomma's solution, and it worked like a charm.[

I tried it works thanks a lot you saved my time !!
__________________________________________________ __
“Our greatest currency is our time and we cannot save it. Spend it wisely and never waste another's or your own.”
― Kyle Barger

thanhtam1101 May 2nd, 2019 05:16 PM

I'm slightly stupid and a spammer as well :)

IPR512 May 2nd, 2019 05:20 PM

Yeah, and I know you're also very happy to be spreading your garbage SPAM on this forum.
One of the mods, please remove this SPAMMER.