Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Recommendations for Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=97378)

davidw55 November 29th, 2005 09:26 AM

Recommendations for Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam

Hi. I'm pretty new here but would like to ask for recommendations from more experienced security conscious members.

My Setup:

I have a home network (CAT 6) setup in our new house. I am using a Netgear FVS318 router, and have 4 computers on the network along with a shared network printer (RJ-45 interface) and a NAS device. 2 laptops and 2 desktops. Both laptops run Win XP Pro, 1 desktop runs Win Me (don't laugh), 1 desktop runs Win 2K AS. 1 laptop is a company computer, the other 3 are for personal use.

I had been running CA ez-Armor suite on my personal systems but the 1 yr. license complimentary from Road Runner just recently expired. I had been running Norton AV 2004, then 2005 on the company system until it somehow got corrupt and stopped working. I tried uninstalling (nightmare) and then went and deleted all of the files/directories and spent WAY to long in regedit removing anything that said Norton or Symantec. BTW, I had Systemworks 2004 on at one time too. After all that I tried reinstalling Norton AV 2005 and it seemed to install but would not work, I can't remember the error, but I got so frustrated that I removed it and decided I needed something better (from all perspectives) than Norton.

So, that brings me to my current state. I need something for AV, Spyware, and SPAM prevention on my personal systems, and I need a new AV program for the company laptop.

What I have seen thus far:

Anti-Virus for Home Systems - AVG Free, avast!, Trend-Micro, Kapersky
Anti-Spyware for Home Systems - Spybot S-D, Spyblaster?, MS-Antispyware
Anti-SPAM for Home Systems - Spamihilator, ???

Anti-Virus for Company PC - CyberScrub AV (5 yr. subscription), Kapersky, ?
Anti-Spyware for Company PC - MS-Antispyware, ???
Anti-SPAM for Company PC - (I use Outlook 2003 on this), ???

Obviously, I would like to find a free or very affordable option for all three on the home systems (what can I say - maintaining two mortgages is rough!) and I need a commercial/paid solution for the company laptop, at least the AV program anyway. Has anyone used Cyberscrub AV? It's supposed to be based on Kapersky and unlike Kapersky has 5 years of updates with it. It also seems to be fairly unobtrusive and not slow my system down. That's another requirement. I want all of these whether the home or company solutions to be as light and well-behaved as possible (unlike Norton). Any recommendations based on my situation from you security gurus would be most appreciated. Thanks...

David