Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows XP (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   29 running processes (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=8745)

Mistystar July 15th, 2002 04:22 AM

29 running processes

First I want to thank you dodge for your reply to my other problem.
Now another question.
I have a 550 and my daughter's is over 1. something but mine is twice as fast. I decided to check her running processes and she has 29 of them. I have no idea what a lot of them are.
I did uncheck 2 that I knew didn't need to run but when I restarted a box came up stating I needed to go back and check normal start up instead of selective. I went back and checked normal startup. I just do not believe she needs 29 running processes, I could be wrong but, that seems like an awful lot. Her PC is a Compaq which has it's own running processes, plus Norton, ZoneAlarm, Yahoo chat, messenger,ICQ, and safely remove hardware are all down by the clock. Is there any way I can be sure of what she needs running and safely uncheck the others without causing a problem?

zipulrich July 15th, 2002 04:41 AM

Can you tell us what's running at startup? Just copy-and-paste the info here, and we can sort out what's what.:)

Mistystar July 15th, 2002 04:52 AM

Yes, I can post it on here but not until tomorrow as she has her own house. I don't think I can copy from msconfig/startup so I can paste here. If there is a way to do that let me know, otherwise I will just have to hand copy them and type them in here. Thanks for helping.
Misty:)

Dodge July 15th, 2002 05:09 AM

Windows XP brings that message up for some stupid reason that I will never understand. As for the startup Menu, uncheck everything in there except for your AntiVirus, Firewall, keyboard and mouse. If any of these are applicable.... Other than that, Everything listed in the startup tab is accessible through the Start menu or Desktop icons.

When you reboot and that message comes up, put a check mark in the box for Dont show this again (or something along those lines) then click OK... It should show up again at bootup...

As for the Processes that are running. It is hard to tell you what you need and what you dont need. I still haven't figured out exactly what I need running one mine. I have went through and turned some off that I ended up needing....

If you could post a list, I may be able to find a few that I know you/she won't need running.....

btw, Your very welcome for the help.

AnnMarie July 15th, 2002 08:23 AM

Perhaps this will help Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations.

Mistystar July 15th, 2002 03:44 PM

I am at my daughters house now and I went to the site AnnMarie suggested and it said to type in the run "services.msc" which I did but it would not run it. Back to the bad msimag problem again. I took the good dll you sent me Dodge and replace it again but still would not work. I then went into msconfig and to services and copied down all the services, there are 82 services. I have them all listed and should I post them here?
Thanks,
Misty:(

Dodge July 15th, 2002 05:44 PM

Go ahead and post them. That list on that site Ann posted should be pretty close to what you need and dont need.

But, I'm trying to figure out what is going on with that Msimg.dll...

Can't seem to find any information on what the problem could be.

Mistystar July 15th, 2002 07:00 PM

Dodge, I think there is more going on with her PC than I can figure out. I don't know if it is all related to the dll or not. I tried to pull up the add/remove program from control panel to see if there were any programs that could be deleted but it will not come up. I also tried to download Weatherbug for her as we have had flooding here and need to keep an eye on the weather. It will not download. You need the minibug to have it work. I looked and the minibug is on her PC but still can not download the program. About all the running processes, I am not sure about unchecking them because the site suggest to do some on manual run and some on automatic run and the others can be disabled. Since I can't bring up the "services.msc" I have to use msconfig and I don't get an option to manual or automatic run. Therefore I am not sure if I should disable them. Should we try to fix the other problem first and them maybe the services.msc will come up. What about just starting over with a fresh install? Don't really want to do that but this is driving me crazy, mostly because I don't know anything about XP, but with the help here I am learning.
Misty:)

Dodge July 16th, 2002 12:55 AM

Misty, check out CTH's virus information page

Run the Online Virus scan. With all the problems you are having, I am leaning more toward there being a virus on that machine that is reaking havoc. The online scan can and most often does pickup on more than any installed AntiVirus program. If your on dialup service it may take awhile to download the files needed, but it is well worth the wait....

Mistystar July 16th, 2002 04:03 AM

Dodge, tried to virus scan and these are the errors I got.
Can't update Active Update, Error code 45-Network traffic bad or busy server. Tried to do scan anyway and said error-unable to load virus scan. I don't know for sure if it is her computer or if the site is just that busy.
Misty

AnnMarie July 16th, 2002 04:23 AM

Hmmm...some viruses will prevent you connecting. Try this online scan Mistystar.

BTW - you can start the scan without subscribing. Click on "Start the scan without subscribing me"