Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 98 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Swap File (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=2632)

Tricknician January 11th, 2002 08:51 PM

Swap File

If Virtual Memory can make it appear to the system that there is more RAM available than is actually installed,
would it be beneficial to set up the swap file to equal the size of the total amount of memory that your system can
handle. For example: If I have 512MB of RAM installed but my system can handle 768MB of RAM... should I
set the swap file size to equal 256MB's (768-512)?

Junky January 11th, 2002 09:49 PM

With 512 of memory, why would you need more? I run 256 of memory and RamBooster and never run out of upper memory. I have RamBooster running on the task bar. When memory gets below 5 megs I use RamBooster to flush out the old stuff left behind in upper memory. One flush puts it back to something like 180 megs of free RAM or more.

I used to set the Swap File to 1.5 times my actual memory. I had lots of free disk space. Worked just fine for me. You may want to try a few different sizes.

Tricknician January 11th, 2002 10:28 PM

I was always under the understanding that anything above 512 wouldnt see a noticalbe difference... but I have a friend that knows a little more than me and is always looking for ways to "tweak" my system as he calls it. I needed a second opinion before I tried anything risky.
Thanks a million !
~Hal

Dodge January 12th, 2002 09:53 AM

You really wouldn't notice a difference in it. The program Junky mentioned would give you more of a noticable difference.

From the test I have done, with anything above 128mb's of ram you really dont get that much of a boost from messing with the swap file size. Atleast not on my system.

I ran test with 64mb's ram and set took the swap file from 98 to 128 and noticed a slight boost, then I took it up to 192 and had a little more boost. Took it up to 220 and my performance dropped....

Then I reset the swap file to the original size. Got Ramboost installed and gave it a try. Major Performance Boost.

Even with 512mb's of ram, I think you would benefit most from a program to clean out the Memory like Ramboost or one of the many other programs around.......

BTW, I am now running 256mb's Ram and still notice a Major difference when I use Ramboost. Which isn't quite as often as when I had 64, but it is still needed at times....

[ 12 January 2002: Message edited by: Dodge ]

The Dude January 18th, 2022 03:55 AM

Sometimes I boot to dos and delete my swap file just for the hell of it....

Sometimes it gets huge.... I only have 64Megs of ram and 8 are tied up for the monitor to techinally I only have 56. something of REAL RAM ...

I dont have the swap file set at any size,its automatic. Gets bigger and smaller as needed....

Is there a limit on how big it can get?? (The swap file)

Murf January 19th, 2022 01:13 AM

Multiply your physical memory by 2.5.

In your case 64 x 2.5 =160

Choose either the number from the calculation in Step 1 or 256 MB, whichever is less.

Right-click My Computer, select Properties, select the System Performance tab, and click the Virtual Memory button.

Select the Let Me Specify My Own Virtual Memory Settings option.

Set both the Minimum and Maximum swap file size to the number you used in Step 2.

Click OK and then restart the computer when prompted.

The Dude January 20th, 2022 12:55 AM

Thanx buddy.... I have always had it on LET WINDOWS MANAGE it....

I wonder if you checked DISABLE VIRTUAL MEMORY (It says not recommend) I gather things would be quite slow!!