Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows Vista (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   vista home basic is a joke (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=201769)

nancy361 September 9th, 2009 03:05 PM

vista home basic is a joke

Anyone here have 32 bit vista home basic??
are you able to copy and paste or drag and drop folders and or files? i cant do it for the life of me.....

anyone reading any of my posts, knows im planning on either REFORMATTING and reinstalling vista on my hard drive OR just putting a new hard drive in with an upgrade of vista premium or whatever...

but first things to do is of course get the things i want from my hard drive OFF of it and backed up to cds or usb drives..... and i cant do it.... I cant even drag pics to another folder to organize all my stuff so its easier to locate and get backed up..... i try doing it while im even chatting with support tech and it works for them but not me....another forum said that vista home basic doesnt let you do the things i want to do others say its touch and go and as for vista backup and restore center, what a joke... i ran the backup last yr 1x and so now i want to try to use it again, and i dont get options of what i want to backup, it just backs up all the files....I dont want ALL the files backedup.... so somebody told me to try the CDBURNERxp and itll work with vista... it gives me options of all what i want to backup. anyways what is with home basic and not being able to drag and drop or copy and paste?? is it just my goofy computer......
i cant do anything if i cant get my stuff off the hard disc..... as for my pictures, i have over 700 of them and backing them up to cds, forget it!! ill have to use usb.... well i tried to do that and i cant even SEND TO or drag and drop or copy and paste to the e drive removable drive. so if i cant do that how will i ever get my pics off the hard drive?? itll take a lot of cds...and my system can only PLAY dvds NOT burn to them....so dvds arent the answer..

hopefully somebody has some answers or has same thing with home basic..
thanks

AnnMarie September 10th, 2009 01:08 AM

Nancy, of course copy and paste etc works in Vista Basic as it has in every MS operating system since 3.1. It's not Vista Basic that is the problem. The problem is that your operating system has been corrupted by malware that you downloaded using Limewire and I'm afraid that is the risk you take when you file share and download files illegally. The malware coders rely on stupidity and greed to distribute their garbage and it works.

Have you tried using keyboard command to copy and paste? The commands are:

CTRL + C to copy
CTRL + V to paste

If this doesnt help, it's possible that something is locking clipboard. Boot into Safe Mode (restart your computer and tap F8 as it restarts) and try copying the files there.

nancy361 September 10th, 2009 01:30 AM

it wasnt done illegally first off. no one was stupid or greedy, and its my son that enjoys/enjoyed, the file sharing from time to time, the limewire pro we pay for. but i have since then ended it and removed the whole thing.... I saw the virus happen as he was just starting into limewire... and shut it down immediately... i then went to malware forum and they helped me with removing it and cleaning the comp.... so i guess whatever residue it left behind is whats causing this to happen...yes its too bad that P2P music sharing cant be safe. There are no other sites that any of us venture onto, unfortunately that 1x was all it took.... thats why i want to either put a new HD in or REFORMAT the current one and reinstall vista.....sorry if my posts here and there are annoying anyone, but i look here for answers if i cant find any by doing reading....

AnnMarie September 10th, 2009 02:15 AM

Nancy, while Limewire itself is not illegal software, filesharing/downloading music which is subject to copyright (and virtually all popular songs are) is illegal and that is what I was referring to.

I understand that you are frustrated but blaming software for issues caused by malware is counterproductive. I have already pointed out to you that your operating system has been corrupted when I tried to help you with your Recycle Bin problem. We can remove the malware files but I'm afraid that undoing damage caused by the files is not always successful.

Did either of my suggestions help you?

Ben321 September 10th, 2009 03:21 AM

Forget "limewire" I use the freeware program Bittorent. It is virus free, and like limewire, it is a peer to peer file sharing program. Also I believe that limewire is a torrent file based program just like Bittorrent. Now I have gotten well over 100 things (mostly rips of movies, TV shows, and video games) through Bittorrent and only ONCE gotten a virus, and it only caused the computer to be slow in booting (an effect that remained after removal of the virus) so i have no worries about downloading torrents. You just got unlucky like a complete n00b.

AnnMarie September 10th, 2009 03:36 AM

I must admit I chuckled at your implication that it is safe to download torrents using BitTorrent Ben. You obviously havent read this topic.

However you have been a member here long enough to know that we do not condone piracy. Any further posts of this nature will be removed and there may be other consequences.

nancy361 September 10th, 2009 04:09 PM

It would be nice, BEN to keep your condescending comments to yourself, nothing to do with luck, and stay ON TOPIC..this post isnt about limewire at all..... but being on it for just a moment allowed a virus to come thru, and thats all for limewire........

AnnMarie, I tried the keyboard , to no avail.. i went into safemode and couldnt drag nor copy at all either.....how can i find out if something is locking clipboard??

w1che September 10th, 2009 08:45 PM

You can't get to the clipboard in Vista, like you could in XP. If you have a Vista disk you can try this... http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm

With that option you should keep all of your programs & files..

AnnMarie September 10th, 2009 11:15 PM

Nancy should still backup her files before trying this w1che and that's the problem we are dealing with here.

Check the properties. Go to Start > Run and type:

clip.exe

and Ok.

It should appear at the top of the menu. Rightclick on it and choose Properties. Click on Security and then select your User Account. What permissions do you see under Allow?

nancy361 September 11th, 2009 01:35 AM

I see 2 cks, one for read & execute, another for read.

The list of users shows first, SYSTEM and that has the same 2 cked for allow, then administrators(nancys homepc) same 2 cked in allow column then it says USERS(nancyshome pc\user) that too has the same 2 cks ..lastly is TRUSTED INSTALLER that has ALL cked in allow column.....

AnnMarie September 11th, 2009 01:40 AM

Ok that's normal. Download GetOpenClipboardWindow.zip from here. Unzip and run the tool and post back what it reports. For best results, try copying and pasting first and then run the tool.

nancy361 September 11th, 2009 01:49 AM

after we get thru this part, would you or anyone else, or maybe i should post in a different place,, know about WMP and how to go about backing up the music library there?? my son uses that most of the time, now, for his library...and when i do a backup id like to know how to get those music files too....

Ann i have a quick question about folders AND files... lets use my kodak pics... I have a FOLDER located in nancy- documents. its named kodak pictures... now, in order to backup the pictures INSIDE this kodak FOLDER, is it the PICTURES INSIDE that get backed up or can i just backup the whole kodak folder and everything inside, including sub folders will get backed up.... OR do i open all the folders that will open WITHIN the main folder in order to get to the images and just BACK them up?? im asking cause i recall a time ago, i did something to that affect, i used the main folder that has all the stuff in it and did whatever i did, but then when i opened it , nothing was in that main folder....hope im not confusing you... just want to be sure, that when i do manage to back things up, is it the main folder i click on to copy or drag, and if so will all the stuff within it come along with it? or do i have to open all the way to what it is i want then copy or drag that?? THANKS

nancy361 September 11th, 2009 01:56 AM

says successfully opened and closed clipboard. does not seem to be any problems

nancy361 September 11th, 2009 01:57 AM

let me try the it again and copy and paste 1st.. sorry

nancy361 September 11th, 2009 02:01 AM

says same thing. is that what its supposed to say if i did it right?