Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows Vista (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Vista Video Settings Won't Save - Please Help (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=200581)

blupowerade August 6th, 2009 05:28 AM

Vista Video Settings Won't Save - Please Help

So I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. It came with my Vista and I've had no problems at all with it until now. For some reason everytime I shut down, restart, or log off and log back into my PC, my display settings get changed to the lowest resolution possible 800x600 when I always set it to the highest resolution of 1920x1200. I've been reading online on sites and basically they said to uninstall the video driver and go to the video site and get the latest driver. So I went to NVIDIA, downloaded the latest driver for the GeForce GT 120 and I'm still having the same problem!!! What do I do? Can anyone help please? I'm on Vista 64 bit

jazz836062 August 6th, 2009 01:56 PM

What kind of anti-virus programs do you have?

blupowerade August 6th, 2009 03:43 PM

McAfee what's the best one?

jazz836062 August 6th, 2009 04:45 PM

Definately not McAfee. I use Avast. McAfee has been known to not allow the user to save settings. I would recommend getting rid os McAfee (be sure to use a removal tool to get every last bit of it). Before you do that, try disableing it temporarily and changing the setting, then reboot. Let us know if that works.

blupowerade August 7th, 2009 05:33 AM

um could you expand on the removal tool and all of that stuff please? step by step or anything would be very helpful since i'm sorta bad w/ all of this stuff unless it's basic things like going to add/remove programs, etc. what would i use for my anti-virus and firewall security then? avast? do you think that mcafee is my top potential cause for this? because i've never had a problem w/ this in the past at all. so i'm not sure what the deal is.

jazz836062 August 7th, 2009 03:56 PM

For the uninstall step by step go here.

I use avast and think it is very good. It is a firewall as well as antivirus. There are others, it is pretty much just user preference. They all do pretty much the same thing. Here is a list.

I have heard of several cases where McAfee is the root cause of problems. And, it tends to slow down your system a little.

blupowerade August 7th, 2009 10:19 PM

alright thanks i'll let you know how it goes after the uninstallation process!

blupowerade August 7th, 2009 10:37 PM

I've restarted twice and I'm still having the same issue. After my first restart, I changed the settings to highest resolution and a couple seconds after I saved it, it automatically went back to the lowest. Also, now my AIM messenger is set to login automatically when before it never was set to that. When I go into my AIM settings and uncheck the box to start the messenger at Start-Up, it says I am not connected to the internet so my settings were not saved and to relogin. I've relogginned multiple times and it still gives me the same message. Do I have a virus?!!

blupowerade August 7th, 2009 10:52 PM

So I installed Avast Home Free Trial edition and restarted and my resolution issue seemed to not change. I will try logging off, and shutting down and restarting to see if the issue is completely solve.d I'm having a problem with Avast and my Windows Security Center though. It says under Malware Protection that it's not up to date, so when I click update, a window pops up and says that my current version is up to date. Do you how I can change that then?

jazz836062 August 7th, 2009 11:32 PM

Did the problem arise after you updated to a new driver? If so, try getting an older driver.

blupowerade August 8th, 2009 01:04 AM

the windows security thing?

jazz836062 August 8th, 2009 03:46 AM

That should fix itself after the program updates a few time. Avat tends to update 2-3 times a day. You should get a popup that tells you when this happens.

blupowerade August 8th, 2009 05:57 AM

oh ok thanks man you're a life safer

blupowerade August 9th, 2009 02:41 PM

hey it actually didn't solve the issue. i just logged off and relogged on and it still went to the lowest resolution. any other ideas?

Murray S. August 9th, 2009 03:05 PM

Howdy:

Which driver did you download from NVidia?

Murray