Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Computer wont start,error code: 0x00000074 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=220798)

ska_ter18 January 5th, 2013 03:02 AM

Computer wont start,error code: 0x00000074

Hello

When i try to start my comp I get the following message (pre-windows screen,the black one):
"Computer needs to restart press the power button (or something like this)
Error code: 0x00000074

Parameters:
0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000002
0xFFFFF8006AEFDBA0
0XFFFFF8006A9BA478 "

I was running windows 8 pro 64 bit (6G ram,3 HDD,Gigabyte MB,MSI 7870 graphic card,I5 CPU)

Incident:
I was playing Fallout 3 and sometimes when i tabbed it would stuck and i needed to log off as a user and play again(i thought it was a compatibility issue,no ctrl alt del could be shown on screen if it stuck)
So I did it again and instead of logging back in my screen went black trying to find signal.I reset via the button and the message came.

Things I tried:
I installed win7 32 bit and tried to search and came that this error is Ram orriented.I did not try to remove the rams since the system properties shows 6G of ram(3.5 usable) which is right and shows they work imo.I entered msconfig and saw that the win8 was not in the boot tab. I tried to go for repairs via the installation USB i got and it could not find the win8 option in the "repair" menu,only the win7.

One more thing...After that one of my HDD suddenly is not recognized and everytime i log it asks for a checkdisk with no results as it seems.(i just hope it aint destroyed)

Some weird facts I noticed...tried to unplugg the unrecognized HDD and computer dont recognize win7 installation even though its on another drive... Its like the info on where the win7 istallation is on that HDD and the win7 system files on another.
I tried to access unrecognized drive through device manager and there is no entry there...though on Disk management in admin tools it is found there with its name etc.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance.

Jintan January 5th, 2013 03:41 AM

Hello ska_ter18,

Quote:

I installed win7 32 bit and tried to search and came that this error is Ram orriented.I did not try to remove the rams since the system properties shows 6G of ram(3.5 usable) which is right and shows they work imo
Reality is that bad RAM cannot be tested using imo.

Click Here and download Memtest and unzip it to your desktop. Then click on memtest.exe to run it. Click Okay, and then Start Test. The maker recommends you allow the test to run a minimum of 20 minutes (the longer the better, since it then has more time to find a fault). If it reports any errors in that 20 minutes you can stop the test, or just stop it after the required time, and post back here an update.

ska_ter18 January 5th, 2013 04:56 PM

I tried running two instances at once(1411)as the program suggested for about 2~3 hour no errors.but again what about the rest 2~3 GB of unusable ram?

Murf January 5th, 2013 10:46 PM

32bit Windows will only use about 3.25GB memory, as 64bit can use many time that. You may have 6GB memory but Windows can only use up to 3.25GB. When you run memtest it will test all 6GB of memory as it is not running within Windows.

Since this error occurred while playing a game, the 1st suspect is the Video Driver.

When you installed Win 7 on the other drive did you make Win 8 the default operating system?

Can you boot into either operating system if so do this:
  • Open a elevated command prompt
  • type bcdedit (press enter)
  • From under a Windows Boot Loader section, look for the description that has Windows 8 listed and make note of the identifier number (ex:{current} (in Windows 8) or {default} at boot))
To enable the Windows 8 "Startup Options" in the command prompt type the following (hit enter)

bcdedit /set {identifier number} bootmenupolicy Standard

Close command prompt, restart

ska_ter18 January 6th, 2013 01:48 AM

When I installed the windows 7 the partition with win8 was the first to boot. I think when you install a new OS it makes it default.I didnt do anything like that myself.

This error didnt occur at a videogame rather at logging off from win8 environment(after a game couldnt be tabbed into again,no graphic glitches of any kind and the card is like 2 months old)

tried the bcdedit and I cant find windows 8 anywhere there.If you mean I should enter it manually i didnt understand the "identifier number" part.

here is a screenshot of the command prompt
http://i.imgur.com/J5y1L.jpg

Jintan January 6th, 2013 02:16 AM

I'll review with others.

liondad January 6th, 2013 11:30 AM

a note
TRY LOOKING AT BIOS settings
the codes you post ;
show some part of your hardware is being forced or not started at start up,
retune bios /uefi back to auto/default setting ,

some mobo's uefi running Oc software ,
or mobo bio's that are the ram is overclocked,
show this code when they crash at boot

this is a note ,
as you maybe are not in oc modes

ska_ter18 January 6th, 2013 12:26 PM

I am not running any OC components(except the graphic card which is factory OC). I do remember I oc'ed my CPU long time ago via the MoBo software but I remember I reverted it back like a year ago.

I tried the fail-safe defaults and entered the partition with the win8 what I got was a repair screen of win8 with the error not being resolved and a log written.

In the log :

"Root cause found:
---------------------------
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem."

everything else is successful. This time after the repairs I got the same problem with the error codes though the last two lines were different

"0xFFFFF8038F2EFBAO
0xFFFFF80390F40478"

I knda feel like the win8 installation I got somehow have erased Boot data or something.Its like the Pc dont know I have win8 installed as an OS.

I can format that partition and reinstall. Shall I try that? (although I still got the issue with the unrecognized HDD that troubles me)

liondad January 6th, 2013 04:08 PM

request would post up more info on you system/pc/laptop
maker/and type of system .
what info on your computer you have,
and if any hardware upgrades you done ,
from buying/or/first build,
and how old setup is,
can back track on info ,

ska_ter18 January 6th, 2013 04:54 PM

I have build this system myself 3 years ago. Only changes were 2 months earlier where I replaced my graphic card and like 1~2 years ago where I placed an extra 2Gb ram.

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
CPU: i5 750 @2.66
Graphic card:MSI Twin frozr R7870
PSU: LC6600 600W
Ram: 2xKingston 2GB 1xTranscend 2GB
HDD: #1 ST3500418AS, #2 WDC WS10EARS-00MVWB0, #3 Hitachi HDP725050GLA360
External USB wireless adapter: Crypto airdata
Sound card: VIA -IC Ensemble,Inc

The data was taken from SystemInfo,CPU-z

Murf January 6th, 2013 07:58 PM

I believe your Master Boot Record is screwed up as it does not show Windows 8. Windows 7 boot manager cannot boot Windows 8. Did you at one time have both working and when you booted you could select either operating system?

Your screen shot only shows Windows 7 not Windows 8. As you always install the oldest version of Windows 1st, a reinstall of Windows 8 should fix your problem. If you have Windows 8 CD/DVD or on USB then boot from it;

If from a repair disk > Choose Keyboard type > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Automatic Repair if that doesn't work if you have a recovery disk then;

Keyboard > Troubleshoot > Advance Options > Command Prompt then type the following: (hitting <enter> after each line)

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd (scans for other O/S to add)

Reboot

ska_ter18 January 6th, 2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murf (Post 1250758)
If from a repair disk > Choose Keyboard type > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Automatic Repair if that doesn't work if you have a recovery disk then;

Keyboard > Troubleshoot > Advance Options > Command Prompt then type the following: (hitting <enter> after each line)

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd (scans for other O/S to add)

Reboot

I did not understand this action,are these actions done IF I have a repair disk?
I dont have a repair disk but I do have the windows 8 usb drive.I will try to reinstall it. Thank you again and I will update with results.

Edit: yes I did have two OS installed win8 preview I think and win7.

ska_ter18 January 13th, 2013 11:14 PM

Apologize for the long time I dont have internet now.

I reinstalled win8 and it works ok. Only problem is the HDD that is not recognized. It is shown in disk management but not in device manager. The only options I can do is change letter on that drive and format it.Shall I do so? I would like to test if the HDD is destroyed after the error or its just not recognized. I would also like to not wipe out its data if possible.