Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 7 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   my hard disk is getting full (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=214977)

coonsanders April 22nd, 2011 10:59 PM

my hard disk is getting full

hi guys
besides doing a disc defragmentation and disk clean up what else can i do to get more space on my hard disk?

thanks
coonsanders

renegade600 April 22nd, 2011 11:03 PM

uninstall programs you do not need, decrease your restore points space, delete personal files, movies music and such you do not need. You need at least 15-20 percent of your drive free for windows to work properly.

If you are having space issues, it may be time to get another drive.

coonsanders April 23rd, 2011 12:10 AM

hi
how much does a new one cost?installing etc..im using windows 7 64 bit on a dell insperion computer..

coonsanders

Dodge April 23rd, 2011 12:48 AM

How big is your hard drive?

What do you have stored? If you have alot of movies, music, huge amount of Pictures etc, you may want to invest in an External Hard drive (USB drive) to store this stuff on. It will keep alot of space off your PC and backed up just in case of problems also.

Cost of installing one is usually between $85-$125. Most place charge 1 hour min and can range between those prices usually. Depends on where you live etc. Find a small shop or individual would be the best bet. Less overhead and usually charge much less. Just make sure they are Reputable and stand by their work.

But, most times storage space is used up by what I mentioned and you can move them to an external drive.

coonsanders April 23rd, 2011 01:13 AM

hi it said 581 gb...i deleated my unwanted photos but still its getting full..no moves are stored on my computer..isnt there a software thatll clean up a hard disk drive?

coonsanders

Dodge April 23rd, 2011 02:01 AM

well, I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. Can you give me some Idea as to how much media you have such as Pics, Movies/vids, programs etc saved on your Harddrive. (Not installed items, just saved on the hard drive)

I don't need to know what kind of files movies or where you get them etc. Just how much you have. I'm trying to figure out if you have a problem with windows that needs fixed or what.

Other than that, using a program like http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Will really help you get rid of programs that you don't need that are installed and temp internet files etc. Its free and doesn't have any spyware/adware. Just do the custom install and uncheck the chrome browser install from google.

coonsanders April 23rd, 2011 02:07 AM

hi
i have ccleaner and use it once a week...i deleated everything movies music and pictures from my computer and some items that i know are usless..thats
why im asking about a software i can buy thatll empty and reformat my hard
disk drive instead of buying a bigger one.nothing on my present hard drive i
want to keep so i wont lose anything important

lenny

Dodge April 23rd, 2011 02:12 AM

sounds like windows is having a problem then.

To reformat you will need to use the restore feature. What is the model number on that Dell? So that I can get you exact instructions on how to do a complete restore to factory settings.

Btw, with that size HD you shouldn't need to install a bigger one without any major movies etc stored. (just some info for you)

coonsanders April 23rd, 2011 02:15 AM

insperion

Dodge April 23rd, 2011 08:33 AM

To co the system restore restart your PC. When the first screen appears start hitting the CTRL and F11 keys at the same time. This will get you into the automated restore setup. If you run into problems check out this site to help you work around them. http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

coonsanders April 23rd, 2011 05:33 PM

vent

hi
ill probably end up buying the windows 7 oem disk and let that fix the hard drive..i havent bought it yet but i may have too..thanks

lenny

jazz836062 April 25th, 2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coonsanders (Post 1208766)
hi
ill probably end up buying the windows 7 oem disk and let that fix the hard drive..i havent bought it yet but i may have too..thanks

lenny

I'm not sure why you would want to waste the money when you technically already own a license of windows (other than upgrading to a better version) The only benefit that you would get is none of the bloatware that comes with a store bought/company made machine. Which you can get rid of immediately after reformatting easily. If you were to buy OEM, then you would have to manually download and install all of the drivers that Dell has already given you. If you do want a better version of windows but don't want this driver mess do the factory restore and buy your better version of windows then use the "Upgrade Anytime" feature from windows (see here for more info). This will rid yourself of driver problems and as I said before, the bloatware can easily be uninstalled after the reformat.

coonsanders April 25th, 2011 11:43 AM

hi
well the hard disk drive say almost full when its empty.ive tried every which way to get it to say empty but to no avail.how do i do this then?

lenny