Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows XP (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Change operating system (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=19427)

saxmom June 29th, 2003 05:48 AM

Change operating system

I am running windows xp and want to change back to 2000. My computer will not let me. How do I do this?:confused:

i8088user June 29th, 2003 06:27 AM

Assuming you have the cd its simple. Get a boot disc made. Format XP off of your pc then reinstall 2000 on your system. Or assuming it came with your pc use your System restore disc.

REMEMBER TO BACKUP ALL DATA YOU DONT WANT TO LOOSE. BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

IF you dont have a restore disc or a Windows 2000 disc your going to have to get one.

saxmom June 29th, 2003 06:30 AM

format xp

how do i format xp off my pc

GretaP June 29th, 2003 06:38 AM

Separate threads merged.

GretaP June 29th, 2003 06:49 AM

See if this works:

Ensure that the Boot Order in your BIOS is set to try booting first from CD drive.

Boot from the WIN2K install CD, opt to boot from CDROM (if this is one of the opening options), then choose Install a new copy of Windows 2000 (Clean Install)
Accept EULA
key in Product Key
In Select Special Options, click on the Advanced Options button, and click in the checkbox beside "I want to choose the installation partition during Setup"
Copies installation files
At blue Welcome to Setup screen:

To set up Windows 2000 now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows 2000 installation, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows 2000, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Should then be at a screen showing the hard disk(s) and partition(s), including any unpartitioned space.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windows 2000 on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete the selected partition, press D.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the partitions that you want to delete, and when highlighted, press D. You will get one or two "Are you sure you want to do this?" screens before it actually will delete the partition.

Once this is done, you should be left with Unpartitioned space for the drive. Now, you can create the partitions that you want by ensuring that the Unpartitioned space is highlighted, and then pressing C. You can create more than one partition by adjusting the size of the partitions that you are creating.

When you have created your partition(s), use the arrow keys to highlight the partition where you want WIN2K installed, and press ENTER. Now you'll be at the formatting screen where you choose your file system using the arrow keys.

Once formatted, will automatically restart, then launch into the install routine for WIN2K.

GretaP June 29th, 2003 06:54 AM

saxmom,
I just noticed that you started yet another posting about this issue. I am going to delete that third post. When you post a question and need to add further information or would like to request clarification about a response to your question, click on the Post Reply button at the bottom right corner of the last posted message, type up your message, then click on the Submit Reply button. This keeps things organized and makes helping you a lot easier.

i8088user June 29th, 2003 03:44 PM

if your computer uses restore disks or use norton ghost or another drive imager the discs them selves should both boot and contain the format and fdisk command.