Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Comments & Suggestions (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Request a tutorial (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=14892)

MishY February 25th, 2003 09:01 PM

Request a tutorial

Want to see a tutorial on CTH on a specific subject ? Post here and we'll see what we can do :)

btw if you've written your own tutorial and would like to see it on CTH -> Click Here for details

mawil February 28th, 2003 04:43 PM

A beginners guide to Windows 2000 Pro.

(Maybe W2K for dummies?) :)

MishY February 28th, 2003 05:10 PM

Anything imparticular mawill ? :)

Are you talking about a stand-alone win2k pro PC ? or a win2k Pro PC on a NT, or Win2kSrv network ?

I'm currently studying for my MCSA in Win2k. You should see the size of the books! For me to type up anything encompassing enough to be called a beginners guide to Win2k would take forever lol! But if there are any subjects imparticular you'd like written about I'd be happy to give them some thought and see what I can come up with :)

btw are you an ex-nowonder(er) too ? I remember that great sig of yours from somewhere and also ya nickname :)

mawil February 28th, 2003 05:19 PM

It's a stand alone W2K Pro pc. Just want to know some of the basic settings for someone starting out. It's also on a home network and need to know how to allow other users access. No server set up.

We have two machines with dual boot W2K and 98SE and one older machine with just 98SE.

Four port hub with a cable modem accessed thru the hub using nics. All machines can access the internet with both Operating systems.

Also how to change boot sequence so that W98 is first boot selection.

Generally, just some basic navigation instructions.

Yep, ex-NoWonderer here. :D :D

mawil February 28th, 2003 05:26 PM

Oh yes. About my signature. (Glad you like it.) :)

The truth about General Failure.

:D :D

MishY February 28th, 2003 05:31 PM

Thanks Mawill you have given me some good ideas for tutorials :)

Quote:

Originally posted by mawil
Also how to change boot sequence so that W98 is first boot selection.
Are you using Win2ks bootloader ?

(Login as Administrator - which I hope you've renamed and pw'd)

Right click My Computer -> Properties

Advanced Tab -> Startup & Recovery

Choose your default Operating System there and you can also specify the wait time it gives you before autobooting the default OS. Is this what you're after ? Otherwise you could be down to editting your boot.ini file which I wouldn't recommend unless the easy way doesn't do what ya want :)

Have you shared out any resources on the win2k box ? Allowed other PCs to map your network drives ?

Maybe a tutorial covering services might be a good idea also.....

MishY

mawil February 28th, 2003 05:34 PM

I'm so new to this OS (had it for a couple of days) I don't even know HOW to login as administrator. :eek:

Told you I needed W2K for dummies. ;)

Got to go to work now. Will check back later.

Thanks,

Mary :)

jtdoom February 28th, 2003 06:26 PM

Hi Mary
or perhaps, Hail Mary...

jeesh, you livened up my day by linking to that story about General Failure
(apparently not yet Retired)

:) :D

mawil March 1st, 2003 01:39 AM

jtdoom,

Yep. The General is still around. Reading disks....

:D

OK MishY,

Here's my setup. Three partitions on one drive. Windows 98 is on C:. We used the bootup floppies (4 of them) to install W2K to D: and left it FAT32.

It automatically recognized my NIC and I found W2K drivers for sound card and video. We also have it recognizing the other computers on the network and I can access the W98 machines fine.

That's as far as I have gotten. Haven't had time to play around with anything else.

seer_claw March 19th, 2003 02:23 AM

Here is one thing that I have just found and I works really well my computer is moving much faster now. :D

For users of Windows 2000 or XP you actually have to tell the OS what size L2 cache your processor has otherwise it won't be used properly! Luckily it's fairly easy to fix.

Click on the Start button then go to run. From there type REGEDIT and press the "Ok" button. After it opens the Registry Editor follow this path. hkey_local_machine-> System-> CurrentControlSet-> Control-> Session Manager-> Memory Management

Once you're in the Memory Management folder look for the DWORD value
secondleveldatacache.
Right click on that and go to modify. Very important you have to change the Base from Hexidecimal to Decimal before modifying the values. After that's done just punch in your L2 cache size so if you're using an AthlonXP since the CPU has 256KB L2 Cache you enter 256. For Duron's enter 64 and for P4 Northwood's enter 512.
After that's done you should notice your programs now have quite a bit more zip and the system is less sluggish because Windows now knows how to use your L2 cache properly.

Baser-X April 18th, 2003 06:55 PM

Tutorial Request - Active Desktop

First off, I am pretty much html/php/vbscript illiterate, so I don't know if it will be possible for someone to write an active desktop tutorial for idiots, but if so I'd love it. I'm not really looking for anything too special, I would just like to be able to add a Google search bar, winamp 2.90, links to my most commonly used programs/favorite sites, and have it all with a black background.

Thanks!!

ceh383 May 6th, 2003 11:27 PM

I would like to see something covering the basics on Active Directory.

Dodge May 23rd, 2003 12:59 AM

Hey ya Chuck, if I knew anything about it I would surely write something up. :(

ceh383 May 28th, 2003 11:08 PM

:no:

Dodge May 31st, 2003 01:01 AM

Hey now, don't bug them eyes out at me like that....:p