Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 98 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Stuck in booting cycle.... (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=89723)

germsphobe September 24th, 2005 01:24 AM

Stuck in booting cycle....

Hi.... My Compax Presario laptop wouldn't come out off the booting cycle. This is my work computer. ....And I really, really need help!!!

The computer has win 98, connected to the Internet with dial-up. It worked fine during the day until the last thing I did, which was clicking a reply button to one email, which has a very large attachment (over 2MB), and that was it..... It froze. .....I pressed Ctrl + alt + del a few times to finally get it to restart.......When it reboot, it wouldn't come out off the booting cycle. ..

It goes like this......

Starts with a blank screen with a red flashing Compaq sign, it changes to the scanning drives page .....because it was not properly shut down.....when it finishes, it changes to the Windows sign page...looks like it's okay.......but quickly changes to the blue error page....

The page saying something like ....system is busy or error or press ctrl, alt, del again to restart....it doesn't matter what I do it will reboot and go to the options page, it has a default at "safe mode".....at this point, either I choose "normal" or "safe" mode...it will reboot and start this cycle again.

Any ideas guys? I'm so desperate because I have everything on this computer...sigh...sigh...

Sincerely,germsphobe

Idnew September 24th, 2005 02:03 AM

Every Win98 has a restore feature built into it so do this when it's booting hit F8, it may or may not beep but keep hitting it and it should boot to a prompt c: type this in there scanreg/ restore and restore it to yesterday and see if it will boot then........if it does then run a virus scan on it

germsphobe September 25th, 2005 04:29 PM

Hi Idnew. Thank you for your tip. I tried both scanreg /fix and scanreg /restore to yesterday, 2 and 3 days before. All didn't work. Any other ideas?

I found a compaq emergency recovery disk. But I have important data on my computer. Aslo, I prefer to use this disk if other things don't work.

Sincerely,

Idnew September 25th, 2005 11:39 PM

Have you tried to boot to safe mode?

germsphobe September 26th, 2005 03:00 AM

Yes, I have. It didn't work. It would go on scanning the disk and restart all over again and again.

Idnew September 26th, 2005 04:30 PM

Sounds like a virus, but if you didn't open that attachment or did you and if you did, did you know who sent it to you? Hate to say format since all your stuff is on it.

Ok try this.

FIRST......Put your boot floppy disk in the floppy
drive and turn on the PC.On some computers,
you may have to access the bios and select the
Boot priority to your A: drive.Save any changes
and select "Start Computer without CDROM
support" and press Enter.Once you are at the
A> prompt,type dir c: and press enter.

If your programs and other files are present,try
restoring your system Registry by following the
steps below.This may repair Windows,the Config.
Sys and autoexec.bat files to where the PC may
boot up normally.When the files are present,its
a good indication of a good hard drive.

SECOND......To correct the problem of your computer
not booting up,type in "fdisk /mbr" and press Enter
to restore your master boot record.Type "Scandisk C:"
to check the hard drive for errors that have occurred.
You can also type "Sys C:" to hopefully restore files
needed to boot up your computer.

THIRD......If the above procedures fail to repair
your computer,you can repeat the first part of step
one above and select "Start Computer With CDROM
Support" re-install Windows.

germsphobe September 27th, 2005 01:32 AM

Sorry. I meant the emergency recovery cd, not the disk.

Yes, I did open the attachment just before the constant reboot. The attachment is from my business partner. We talk via email daily and I never had problem before. Hate to think that he accidentally sent me a virus....sigh...

I'll try your tips tomorrow as I'm exhausted today and have to get up early with my kids to school.

By the way, what is BIOS ???? Is it the startup menu page? And how do I select the boot priority in there?

Thank you for helping out.

Sincerely,

germsphobe September 27th, 2005 01:40 AM

I wrote down the error message. Not sure if it will help in dianostic. Here it is.

Windows
A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0167:00000013. The current application will be terminated.
*Press any key to terminate the current application.
*Press ctrl+alt+del again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved......

Either of the above choices I choose, it will go to the page with red big Compaq, then switch to the window 98 start page, and switch to the startup menu page. Whether I choose to restart in normal or safe mode, it will show this error page.

Idnew September 27th, 2005 06:06 PM

BIOS means Basic Input Output System. BIOS is actually firmware, the software that is programmed into a ROM (Read-Only Memory) chip built onto the motherboard of a computer. BIOS is what makes the system run an initial Power-On Self-Test of the computer, initialize circuits, load the boot program from the boot disk, and then handle low-level I/O to peripheral controllers such as keyboard and display.

You get into it by hitting the F2 Key when booting, try the other first without going into the BIOS

Always check any attachments with Virus software before opening no matter who it's from. Most emails or at least yahoo mail has built in virus checker.

I hate those OE exceptions there so hard to track down. I'll see what I can find on it.

Idnew September 27th, 2005 06:11 PM

I'm assuming you have access to another computor so you can download. Here is a free download but don't know if it will work since you can't boot. You'd just have to try it. Now I know nothing about this program, but I would imagine you would have to save it on a pc since you can't use yours then burn it to a CD.

http://trojan-scan.com/errordoctor_ov.htm

outlaw71 September 27th, 2005 06:18 PM

reboot cycle

If any one can help me..it would be greatly appreciated.

My father had given me his machine to work on yesterday. The machine was stuck in a reboot cycle. He has a HP 576x desktop that when you turn it on, the HP splash screen comes up and then appears to be loading the OS (XP home), at which time the screen goes black and flashes the message "no signal". I thought this might have been the video card and replaced it with a new card, but unfortunatley the problem continued. I slaved his hard disk to mine and was able to boot the OS with no problems, showing me the hard drive was intact. I ran a couple of checks on it and found nothing. I put his hard drive back into his machine and recieved the no signal message again. On a huntch, I took his stick of PC 2100 512mb or ram and replaced it with ram which is exactly the same. At that point his machine booted fine and was fully functional. I told him to go buy a new stick of ram that he has a bad stick of memory. I took my stick out of his machine and put in back in my box and now I am have a problem where my machine will not boot the OS. It keeps asking me to repair the file. I am completely stumped. Can any give me some ideas?

Idnew September 27th, 2005 06:41 PM

So far the only thing I could find on that and did not find out what it was as it seems to happen with different things was to re-install Win98. It won't hurt to try that and your data should still be intact when you finish.

Idnew September 27th, 2005 06:45 PM

Outlaw you need to post this in the XP section. Maybe you don't have your stick in right. Try taking it out and putting it back in. If that doesn't do it then you need to post this in the XP section for help.

outlaw71 September 27th, 2005 07:09 PM

thanks idnew i will start there...sorry about that...

germsphobe September 28th, 2005 01:35 AM

Hi. Sorry 'bout the delay. I googled on the Internet on how to save files from the hard drive to another location. Found how to do that, got it done.

Then, I tried "fdisk /mbr" at c: as you suggested, it didn't give an invalid command so I assumed it worked. I couldn't do the "sys c:", "scandisk c:". It said invalid command or file name. I reboot the computer, it still wouldn't complete the boot and gave the same error message as #8. I changed the boot priority in BIOS, but it didn't fix the problem.

I finally decided to put the compaq emergency recovery CD and it was a BIG mistake. It asked for a window install disk or something, which I don't have.

Now the hard drive is wiped out but the computer still can't boot. This is a complete mess.

Luckily, I have figured out how to get my files out of there before this happened. Oh, gosh......what a mess I'm in.

Is there a way to get it to work at this point or this is dead-end?

Thank you for clearing up the BIOS. It really helps.

Sincerely,