Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gigabyte GA-K8NS issue, not posting, beep etc read below (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=102214)

DarkSider84 January 8th, 2006 05:28 AM

Gigabyte GA-K8NS issue, not posting, beep etc read below

I submitted this to gigabyte, but i'm going to copy paste here exactly whats going on in hopes that someone can help me out on this, i'm lost to what to do at this point, any input is helpful.

I just built the computer and checked over everything and went to boot to windows xp x64 edition and its giving me a long repetitious beep pattern....long beep...space....long beep...space over & over & i'm not sure what is causing the issue. I notice my motherboard has the 4 pin power connector thats a square hook up (looking like a pentium) and also the standard large power connector, this happens when i have both hooked in, i've tried with just one or the other separately..no beeps...but then no post to monitor. Either way doesnt even get as far as anythign but a black screen with those long beeps...and then monitor doesnt post. I read somewhere that the beeps could be cause of the ram an error...and someone suggested taking the ram out of slots 1 & 2 (sine its not dual channel) and putting it in slots 1 & 3 on motherboard, but i have not tested this, i wanted an opinion from the pros prior to. I cant get to bios screen so i cant even type what version of bios its using. so i'm putting 2.0 since its rev 2.0 motherboard and i have no way to check. Not sure what to do or where to go now, please reply as soon as possible, need to finish this up to give to a friend :) thanks.
*Update* I tried removing all of the following separately to same beep, video card, RAM, wireless network card, and also pulled out the temp gauge from between heatsink & cpu to the same beeping errors. When i removed video card i could power on and then it'd shut off right away. Unless i hook the 4pin 12v (2 yellow/2black) cable power adapter to motherboard & also the 24pin large power connector...i dont get beeps, but then it doesnt post to monitor either and monitor light just blinks.

I've also tried removing the 12v and booting and the same for removing the 24pin power connector and at that point it does nothing and neither of my dvd rom drives seem to get power (they wont open when pressed). At this point i'm stumped on what to do or where to go. I noticed for my fpanel (front panel jumper) all the ide hdd,reset sw, speaker connector & power switch were all in the correct place, the listing for message led/power/sleep led, i had no cable from the case to plug into that spot, thus it must be something not needed/my case doesnt have. All were placed in with wording on the sw's facing up towards power supply, therefore all in correct place. I did not hook up the front USB ports nor additional sound/mic ports either when all of the above has occured. Note, the pci wireless card is in slot 3 of the motherboard, but that shouldn't make a difference either. So far i've checked over all power cables, they are all hooked correctly (with a few Y splitters) to motherboard, the cpu fan from heatsink was hooked to cpu fan on motherboard also. I've tried to explain every single thing on it as best as i can, and hopefully that helps you out. I'm not sure what to do next, please help on this, thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>Model Name</b> : GA-K8NS
--------------------------
<b>M/B Rev</b> : 2.0
<b>BIOS Ver</b> : 2.0
<b>Serial No.</b> :
<b>Purchase Dealer</b> : newegg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>VGA Brand</b> : ATi <b>Model</b> : Radeon pro 9800
<b>CPU Brand</b> : AMD <b>Model</b> : 3000 socket 754 <b>Speed</b> : 2.1ghz
<b>Operation System</b> : Win XP 64-bit <b>SP</b> :
<b>Memory Brand</b> : Kingston <b>Type</b> : DDR
<b>Memory Size</b> : 512 <b>Speed</b> : pc3200
<b>Power Supply</b> : 420 W

2x western digital 7200rpm 80gig harddrives IDE

1x Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb 8xagp video card

2x 512mb kingston pc3200 RAM(kvr400/512r)

16x sony dvd rom

16x dvd burner

amd 3000 64bit cpu with hyper transport

Raidmax X-1 case (420 watt)

Nick Grana January 8th, 2006 04:36 PM

4-pin Molex connector is used to give the card more juice than what is supplied by the AGP slot.
While building, checks must be made along the way.
The biggest check is getting a POST on barebones system.
Remove all connections and cards from mobo (except video card and PSU power connections including 4 pin molex). Hook monitor up and keyboard. Install one stick of ram. This configuration should give you a POST and screen display.
See if this works for you.:cool:

Rich M January 8th, 2006 07:31 PM

I would go a step further and remove moblo from case as well to eliminate grounding problem and use only 1 ram stick, psu plug, onboard video if there or video card,...then if that works to post add hard drive etc. You do have risers in the case for mobo right?
Beeps mean either incompatible ram or video card. Somehow I have seen more troubles with 9800 ATi video card than anything ever made. If you have onboard video try it. If not, see if you can borrow another video card to try instead...

DarkSider8436 January 9th, 2006 03:05 AM

it's me, it doesnt take my password (no its not caps issue) and wont resend me password, so heres my new acct)

I tried all of the above, the motherboard, does not have a standard monitor hook up, as in i would need the adaptor to hook to it, since monitor cable has pins...and back of mobo has pins...no connector hole (like on gfx card). Anyhow I tried without the 4pin power connector, no hdd's, no rom drives & nothing extra hooked up, I tried without ram and just hooked directly to video card, which it doesnt post to monitor and light flashes on front of monitor...i tried with one stick ram (which i cant try w/o gfx card tho since i dont have hook up) & gfx card in hooked up and it does the same exact thing as w/o the ram, but neither give me the long beep...space long beep space repetitious pattern now, just no post. I then tried hooking the 4 power connector to mother board and then it started giving the beeep patterns, but either way no post. Do you think i should pick up that adapter to hook monitor to back of mobo (rather than gfx card) and take out gfx card for now...see what that does, and if that works go through the rest of the process or such...and if so install win xp x64 and so on, then gfx drivers then put card in etc etc,....or what do you suggest I do now to go about this? I apologize for the delay in responding, had work all day and i just got in a few minutes ago, Thanks.

*UPDATE* I tried my personal gfx card (geforce fx 5700 ultra) on the motherboard also, pulled from my computer i'm using right now and is currently working with same results as the above gfx card (the ati radeon 9800 pro)

Rich M January 9th, 2006 03:39 AM

I don't know what kind of mobo adapter for monitor you are referring to as it appears not to have onboard video anyway.
I would say you have a defective motherboard assuming the memory is compatible.

DarkSider8436 January 9th, 2006 07:37 AM

I dont recall the name, but its the one where you can go form the pin side on motherboadr (accepting pin side) to having the hole on the other (where it would then accept the monitor cord-typical) on the the other, i dont remember the name its actualy called. It's either that or i have a defective motherboard...but odd tho, yes i've had defective before, but i havnet mishandled or done anything wrong that would warrent it being friend. Do you have any suggestions? Does this happen typically? as in motherboards being screwed up more often than typical hardware?

Nick Grana January 9th, 2006 03:33 PM

I just PM'd you back.
As I said, I'm with Rich as never seen your type of monitor/card hookup with adaptor(??)
Is that 15 pin plug the only one on the back of your system? You are sure that jack is the video card? You don't see another 15 female pin jack?
The video card should have 15 pin female jack. The other two ports similar to those are your serial ports.
The card's backplate includes VGA, DVI-I and S-Video ports.
Can you find us a pic of your mobo? Pic of adaptor or name of adaptor? Pic of video card?
As I said, state you computer name, homegrown or product line?:cool:
I'll keep searching for it also.;)

Rich M January 9th, 2006 03:58 PM

I have an earlier version of that Gigabyte board which was defective in a client unit and I had to send it back twice to get one that worked. I also had that board where changing a psu blew a working unit away and I rma'd that one also. In fact I rma'd more gigabyte boards than anything last year, and began selling the replacements on ebay rather than put them back. No more Gigabyte for me, too much time wasted with them. In fact the only ones I will use now for clients are Abit and Asus if Amd or Intel or Asus if P4 is what they have.

Nick Grana January 9th, 2006 04:07 PM

Rich, as I can find, that board has vga, dpi and s port. I can find nothing special that would require an adaptor to go from vga male to vga male.
You can confirm this?:confused:

Rich M January 9th, 2006 06:16 PM

Nick I'm with you I simply am lost on that one!

DarkSider8436 January 9th, 2006 08:07 PM

Yes, the connector to the monitor has the pins...whereas on the motherboard none have the female hole in which to plug it into...just the hookup on the video card. I recall seeing an adapter that would take the female side plugin to hook to monitor (and then on the other have another female...because the back of the motherboard only has male hook ups. I'm posting a link to the back of the motherboard off newegg where I purchased it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128259 This will show you the input i have on the back of the motherboard. And the following is the video card i purchased with inputs showing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102477

I am building this one actually for a friend, and never run into this kind of problem, well once, something similar with an asus a7n8x-x and had to rma it back to newegg. I've read all over different forums and the like and not finding any sufficient answer to the problem. GIGABYTE support....what a joke, i'm still waiting for a response via their site email for 3 days now, contemplating giving them a call, but I cant see resetting cmos to do anything more efficient....plus if I end up getting someone using a translator from overseas, that just makes the problem even harder to resolve. I'm near the point of just sending this board back & either swapping for another or getting something else similar that'll support everything i'm looking for without spending an arm & a leg, due to I'm not doing any overclocking or overloading on this, so its not a concern, designing for performance for a friend of mine for world of warcrack/guild wars/counter strike 1.6-source and the like, which this would be more than able to...if it werent for this problem. Any suggestions or such from any of you, you guys know a bit more than me and are very helpful, I'm going to give a call over to gigabyte in a few minutes here and see what I can get from them, i'll post back an update on what I tried and what I did as soon as, if not for rma. Yes, its kind of hard to hook a male hookup from monitor to another male :) just doesnt go too well hehe, i could've sworn i've seen adaptors. Did a quick search and found the following cable for a female to female adaptor (to hook 2 males of course), http://www.trianglecables.com/dbfemtofemlo1.html

DarkSider8436 January 9th, 2006 08:51 PM

I've contacted gigabyte, after sitting on hold for nearly 30 mins, reset cmos, tried a few other things and the technician says the ram slots on the mobo are defective, so i'm giving a call to newegg for a reference number and to get this replaced, hopefully mailed out in a tiny bit before the post office closes.

*UPDATE* Acquired RMA # and addy from newegg and just got back in from post office, shipped that out. Hopefully get the new motherboard in about a week and can try this again.

Rich M January 9th, 2006 10:31 PM

OK good for you Gigabyte mobos have been real crap the last few years where they used to be a pillar.
Now as for the mobo and ports using your url, there are two serial ports which I think you are confusing with male plugs for an adapter etc...otherwise there are usb ports a parallel port,ethernet and nothing else. There is no onboard video so lets just forget that...and we look forward to new motherboard. I hope you do better than I did last time as I just sent one back twice and the client was really pissed at me.

DarkSider8436 January 9th, 2006 11:11 PM

I hope so too, it's for a friend of mine so a tiny bit more of a wait wont disappoint, they already have a computer running and working, its just a few years old, and cross my fingers I get a good one this time. If not all hell is going to break loose with gigabyte and all the horrible things i've heard now later about their motherboards.