Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 7 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   win7 & Linux Format (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=213898)

sladden February 3rd, 2011 09:59 AM

win7 & Linux Format

G'day Folk's.

I was wondering.

I have win7 installed on a desktop computer HD.

And I have another HD that I have formatted in Ubuntu as ext2

If I put the ext2 HD in the computer with win7.

Will win7 recognise and read the ext2 HD?

pip22 February 3rd, 2011 10:11 PM

Not without third-party software installed on Windows 7.

You may want to read this: http://www.soluvas.com/read-browse-e...rom-windows-7/

And this: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-access-l...l-boot-system/

renegade600 February 3rd, 2011 10:30 PM

it would be better just to reformat the drive once you install on the win7 computer.

pip22 February 3rd, 2011 11:33 PM

"it would be better just to reformat the drive once you install on the win7 computer"

I can't see how that has anything to do with the OP's question?
He wants a dual-boot system, Windows 7 & Ubuntu.

renegade600 February 3rd, 2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip22 (Post 1200928)
"it would be better just to reformat the drive once you install on the win7 computer"

I can't see how that has anything to do with the OP's question?
He wants a dual-boot system, Windows 7 & Ubuntu.

The person asking the question really was not that specific. there was absoutely nothing in his question about dual booting. I read it as if he was had a linux formatted drive he wanted to install and use as a second drive for windows. He would be better off to reformat to a windows file system if this was the case.

sladden February 4th, 2011 02:48 AM

Yes you are right. I am going to set up a dual-boot. So I will try to be a bit more explanatory.

I have 3 HD's.
1 is 160 GB. It is formatted NTFS and is used for file storage. (It is nearly full).
1 is 120 GB. It is formatted NTFS with Vista set up on it.
1 is 120 GB. It is formatted ext2. I plan on installing Ubuntu 10.10 on it.

I want to partition both 120 GB HD's to [50-Windows and 70-Files]. [50-Ubuntu and 70-Files].

I can NOT format the ext2 HD in Vista because Vista does not recognise 'Linux Format' 'FAT' 'ext2' or 'ext4'.
It does not recognise it as an 'Internal HD' or as an 'External HD'.

I want to access both 70 GB partitions from Windows and Linux.

So I need to know if by switching from Vista to Win7 I will be able to do it.

I hope that explains my problem in full.
If not. Please tell me what else you need to know.

Thank You.

renegade600 February 4th, 2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sladden (Post 1200935)
Yes you are right. I am going to set up a dual-boot. So I will try to be a bit more explanatory.

I have 3 HD's.
1 is 160 GB. It is formatted NTFS and is used for file storage. (It is nearly full).
1 is 120 GB. It is formatted NTFS with Vista set up on it.
1 is 120 GB. It is formatted ext2. I plan on installing Ubuntu 10.10 on it.

I want to partition both 120 GB HD's to [50-Windows and 70-Files]. [50-Ubuntu and 70-Files].

I can NOT format the ext2 HD in Vista because Vista does not recognise 'Linux Format' 'FAT' 'ext2' or 'ext4'.
It does not recognise it as an 'Internal HD' or as an 'External HD'.

I want to access both 70 GB partitions from Windows and Linux.

So I need to know if by switching from Vista to Win7 I will be able to do it.

I hope that explains my problem in full.
If not. Please tell me what else you need to know.

Thank You.

you will still not be able to format it to linux using win7. However since you said you want to install ubuntu on it, you can setup the partitions as part of the setup. or you can insert and boot to the live ubuntu and partition/format the drive in advance that way.

sladden February 4th, 2011 07:40 PM

Thankyou Dan.
Last night I set up the dual-boot. Win7/Ubuntu.
I put Win7 1st onto the NTFS HD.
I then put Ubuntu in as dual-boot by installing it onto the ext2 HD.

I gave it the entire HD because when I let it install-and-partition. It installed into a ext4 partition and after it was installed it could not find the ext2 partition. That meant that I had lost half the HD
This way, even though it is not partitioned, it is all available to Ubuntu.

I have since rebooted Win7 and partitioned the Win7 HD into 50gb-Win7 & 70gb-Files.
That 70gb is available to Win7 & Ubuntu.

sladden February 4th, 2011 07:45 PM

Now I have to work out how to partition Ubuntu from inside Ubuntu.

When I do it. I must either make Win7 read ext2. Or make Ubuntu produce a NTFS or FAT32 partition.

renegade600 February 4th, 2011 08:07 PM

you are getting very confusing as to what you are trying to accomplish so let me just post the following and then get out of this thread. Maybe someone else will not be as confused.

Linux can read windows file systems but windows cannot read linux. You can partition the linux drive using win7 disk management - just not format it for linux. you can partition then leave it unallocated and then go into linux to format the unalloctated space for the linux file system.

From linux you should be able to partition and format using disk utility under system- administration - disk utility.

If you are trying to setup a drive for both operating sytems to access, then it would be best to format as a windows file system.

sladden February 5th, 2011 01:31 AM

You can partition the linux drive using win7 disk management - just not format it for linux. you can partition then leave it unallocated and then go into linux to format the unalloctated space for the linux file system.

From linux you should be able to partition and format using disk utility under system- administration - disk utility. [/QUOTE]

I will try once more to de-confuse.
I have 2 different HD.

One with 2 partitions formatted in NTFS. Win7 is on one partition. Files are on the other partition.

The other HD (since reading your help "disk utility under system- administration - disk utility.")
Now has 2 linux partitions on it with Ubuntu on the first one and files on the second one.

I am trying to make Win7 read my Linux files partition.

If this doesn't explain clearly now. Then I must apologize and also give up. Because I have run out of explanatory methods.

Regards. Dave.