Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Linux (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   3 Linux Questions (Ubuntu) (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=161353)

mugsy27 July 31st, 2007 03:40 PM

3 Linux Questions (Ubuntu)

1. running ubuntu in a windows (AD) environment. Win2K3 has c and d partitions, where d is shared as d$. I would like to have ubuntu map to the win box's d$. what is the command to do this?

2. i usually setup my win boxes as c: = o/s and d: = data. can i setup ubuntu to do this as well...either from a fresh install or from my current setup?

3. does linux have something like device manager? im gonna try and conquer the world of wireless networking soon, and i figure that will help with getting my pcmcia card going.

linux tard / nube here...so please go easy on me!! :dizzy:

kage July 31st, 2007 05:12 PM

For questions one and two, yes, you can mount that drive to use as data storage in Ubuntu. What you might want to do is create a folder "data" (or something similar, something you will recognize) in your home directory, and mount the partition there.

Is your D drive NTFS, or Fat32?

For question 3, no, linux does not have a centralized device manager like Windows does, but it does have tools for setting up your wireless card. Do you know what chipset your card uses? (ie: broadcom, prism, atheros, ect)

pozican August 1st, 2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy27 (Post 887231)
1. running ubuntu in a windows (AD) environment. Win2K3 has c and d partitions, where d is shared as d$. I would like to have ubuntu map to the win box's d$. what is the command to do this?

Step 1: install samba
Step 2: mount -t smbfs -o username=???? //[IP]/D

Quote:

2. i usually setup my win boxes as c: = o/s and d: = data. can i setup ubuntu to do this as well...either from a fresh install or from my current setup?

Sure -- you can have seperate partitions for / and /home :D
Do it from fresh install using cfdisk or w/e the partitioning thing is for ubuntu (sorry :\)

Quote:

3. does linux have something like device manager? im gonna try and conquer the world of wireless networking soon, and i figure that will help with getting my pcmcia card going.

Nope, but kage is spot on :D
Research what chipset your card has (each card buys a chipset form somewhere else so there is only really 3 or 4 drivers, atheros, prism etc)
Then search for a linux driver (if it's an atheros chipset, use madwifi drivers, prism uses prism drivers)

Then if you can't find it -- ndiswrapper will run windows driver in linux (minus some cool functions, so find a native one first)

Welcome to the world of intelligent OS's
-poz